"Are you Denise Howard, Maurice Howard's wife?" the man asked calmly but even with his cool & calm demeanor I was becoming more frantic by the second.

"I am, what's happened to my husband?!" I frantically asked, feeling my breathing getting faster & faster the longer they took to respond.

"He was attacked inside a parking garage & was rushed to a hospital downtown. He gave us two numbers before he passed out again. Sheryl Daniels, is his mother, we already got in contact with her--" he tried to go on but I cut him off.

"What hospital?!"

The way I sped to my parents house to drop the kids off, you would've thought I was apart of the fast & furious franchise. Immediately they started asking me a thousand & one questions that I didn't have the answers to or the time to talk about it & shamefully, I disrespectfully shouted & cursed at them. Leaving them no time to react, but instead taking the kids before I ran back to my car to fly to the hospital.

My mind was like my engine, on horse power. Trying to wrap my head around the fact that someone attacked my husband. I didn't even know if he was ok. If he was alive. Unconscious, conscious or in a coma. I knew nothing! I rushed off the phone to hurry & get to him. I'm pretty sure I was parked in two spots when I finally made it to the hospital but that was the least of my concern. I had to get to him! The motion sensor doors made way for me as I rushed to the receptionist desk area, looking around to see if anyone familiar may have been there but there was no one.

"Maurice Howard, what room is he in?!" I rudely asked but before she could answer me, Mama Sheryl came sobbing out of the waiting area. She embraced me as I began to sob so hard, just scared of the unknown. I saw two officers, they looked to be Detectives, coming our way & damn near passed out from the fear I felt to my core. Me & Mama separated, both seemingly holding our breath awaiting maybe the bad news, but who was to say?

"I'm Detective Washington & this is my partner Detective Walsh. We're investigating the attack on your husband" he extended his hand out to me, but I couldn't bring myself to shake it. He balled his lips, nodding & directed his attention over to his partner, who was a woman. I guess he figured she'd be better off talking to me, but honestly I didn't give a fuck about whatever this was at the moment. I just wanted to get to Maurice.

"Your husband is currently in surgery & is looking to be ok--" she started, but impatiently I cut her off wanting her to skip all the fluff & just give it to me straight.

"Surgery?!" Mama & I asked in unison.

"Surgery for what?!" I continued on, wanting so desperately to know how my husband was doing

"Surgery for what?!" I continued on, wanting so desperately to know how my husband was doing. I was glad to hear he was alive, but yet here I was still in this fucking waiting room & not with him. I was over it, I NEEDED to be by his side. To see his chest rise & fall with each breath he took. To hold his hand and feel the pressure of his grip on mine. To look at his face...That handsome face that I have adored since I was five. I needed to see my baby, my best friend. The love of my life. The father of every child I have ever been pregnant with. My twin flame & my kindred spirit! Yet and still, I remained in this waiting room!