Chapter 7: The Last Homely House

Mulai dari awal

     As the day wore on, Bilbo explored Rivendell, taking the chance to learn more about the elven home. He also took the chance to wash and change into clean clothes. However, his wandering never led him to Nyx. He thought he might have seen her, walking beside another elf with dark hair though he wasn't sure. Regardless, the two elves seemed content with each other, leaning towards one another and laughing softly.

~~~

Gandalf followed after Elrond, his thoughts perturbed. The map had been read but time was uncomfortably short. Not to mention the dire news brought by Radagast. And Thorin's stubbornness hadn't helped the situation.

After heading up the stairs, the two men entered a large pavilion made of stone. Framed by the moon stands a tall elf. Her hair is golden, turning silvery almost in the moonlight. Clothed in white, she turned to face him.

"Mithrandir," Galadriel said softly, her eyes gentle, "It had been a long time."

The wizard bowed slightly, "Age may have changed me but not so the Lady of Lorien." The lady smiled as Gandalf continued, "I had no idea Lord Elrond had sent for you."

A voice spoke to the side of him and he turned to face Saruman, the head of his order, "He didn't, I did."

He bowed and greeted his fellow wizard who returned the greeting. Behind him, he saw Nyx, her face unreadable. Still upon seeing him she smiled softly, stretching the thin scar that ran over her lips. She now wore a simple maroon tunic, tucked into dark pants, the shadow that seemed to never leave her still present.

They spent many hours in council, sharing what they knew. They spent enough time that the sun began to rise above them, bathing the pavilion in warm light. The two wizards and Elrond sat at the table while Nyx and Galadriel remained along the outskirts.

"Tell me Gandalf, did you think these plans and schemes of yours would go unnoticed?" Saruman drawled, his expression clearly irritated.

Gandalf did not react besides a slight raise of the eyebrow, "Unnoticed? No, I am simply doing what I feel to be right."

"The dragon has long been on your mind," Galadriel said before turning to Nyx, "and upon yours."

Nyx stiffened slightly and made no reply. Gandalf answered for her, "It is true, my lady. Smaug owes allegiance to no one. But if he should side with the enemy, a dragon could be used to terrible effect."

"What do you mean?" Elrond questioned, his face confused but not angry.

The wizard continued, "There is something at work beyond the evil of Smaug. Something far more powerful. The Battalion has seen it too. We can remain blind to it but it will not be ignoring us, that I can promise you. A sickness lies over the Greenwood. The woodsmen who there now call it Mirkwood and they say..."

"Well don't stop now. Tell us what these woodsmen say," Saruman snapped after Gandalf trailed off. Nyx narrowed her eyes behind him, before glancing over at Gandalf, frowning.

"They speak of a necromancer living in Dol Guldur, a sorcerer who can summon the dead," Gandalf finished, understanding the weight of his words. It was not light news.

Saruman scoffed, "That's absurd. No such power exists in this world. This Necromancer is nothing more than a mortal man. A conjurer dabbling in black magic."