The sound of the front door opening distracted him. He remembered that his mother hadn't been home earlier and that made him pull himself out of bed. He scrambled out his door and started down the stairs.

Kleandra was leaning on the wall to help herself walk as she made her way into the kitchen. Jess went over to join her, sliding under her arm to help her. He scrunched up his face at the stench of alcohol coming off her. "Ma, what're you doing?"

"Oh, Jess. Hey, baby." She gave him a drunken smile. "I jus'wanted water."

Her words slurred badly and he sighed. He helped her into the kitchen and made her sit down at the table. He gave her bread and told her to eat it while also putting a water bottle down. She did as told and he moved over to pull some medicine out of the cabinet.

He knew she'd need advil for the hang over tomorrow. He set it on the edge of the counter on a paper towel and put a glass of water next to it for her to find when she wakes up.

He then returned to the table to find the half eaten bread and the water with only a swig drank. "Come on, Ma, you gotta drink it all."

She whined about it but listened. After the water was done and she took a couple more bites of the bread Jess helped her up the stairs. He got her to her room and watched as she laid down. Knowing she was in bed he shut off the light and closed the door.

He went back to his room and after the door was shut a sigh shuttered through him. He pushed off the door and made it to his bed, falling face first.

Jess clicked on his phone to check the time. Twelve twenty-nine. Jeez, he needed sleep. Only sleep could fix the aching tiredness he felt. However the notification from Instagram distracted him.

Isaac had sent another reel five minutes ago. Aren't athletes supposed to go to bed early or something? Is that a thing or did I just imagine that?

Jess unlocked his phone and watched the reel. It was funny, brought out a smile, but then he clicked into the type bar.

Jess:
Why the hell are you still awake?

Zack:
Oh hey. I didn't think you'd be up.
Waiting for dad to get here.
What about you?

Jess:
I was about to go to sleep when my mom got home. I had to help her to bed.

Zack:
Oh so we're in similar boats I guess.

Jess snorted. Not quite, but also they were in a way. He smiled a little to himself as he sent another reply and Isaac started typing again.

Jess:
Sorta.

Zack:
Do you want to go to sleep? I just realized you said you were going to.
Sorry if I'm keeping you awake.

Jess:
You're okay. I'm fine talking to you.

Zack:
Cool.

There was only a moment where Jess contemplated what he should say next. He didn't want to just leave the conversation at that. But then Isaac sent another text.

Zack:
I think my dad just got here, I can hear a car outside so I'll let you get back to sleeping.
Talk tomorrow?

Jess:
Yeah. See you tomorrow.

Zack:
Goodnight.

Jess:
Goodnight.

Jess smiled as his phone clicked off. He put it over on his side table and plugged it in. Then, he rolled over and pulled the blanket over him.