Chapter 1

Jihyo is a 22-year-old woman studying creative writing at a university in Korea. She has moved from another city because of her past.

She had been bullied since 9th grade. She didn’t want to meet any of them, but unfortunately, she had to.

One of her classmates studied in the same class. She didn’t want to fail the course, so she had to go. She is driving to the university. She hated to go there. She wouldn’t care what the other students would say.

The bullies picked on her and took her things. She couldn’t believe adults could be so cruel. She didn’t know why they bullied her.

It couldn’t be because of her looks.

She had blonde hair and brown eyes. She was quite pretty too. She was also good in school.

There were only two male students in her class, and the rest were female.

The bully had two other friends. She was the one who talked the most. The closer Jihyo gets to the university, the more nervous she gets. She wished she was brave enough to confront them.

Her bully didn’t remember her from the old school. She was too embarrassed to tell her professor about her problems. She was an adult and was supposed to fight her own battles.

Jihyo arrives at the parking lot of the university. She sees her bullies enter the building. She waits in her car. She would enter the classroom one minute before the day would begin.

For a week, they had a new professor. Her name is Minatozaki Sana, and she has light brown hair and brown eyes. She is gorgeous; so many female students had a crush on her.

For Jihyo, she was just a professor and nothing else. Besides, she had a ring on her finger, which meant she was married.

She would never get involved with anyone like that.

The course would be for a year. So far, it had been for a month, and it felt like ages before it would end. She wanted to finish the course with a good grade. She always wanted to write.

It is time to leave the car. The university was in an old country seat that used to be owned by a lord. There were a lot of other courses to take.

She gets to the classroom on the first floor. She takes her seat in the back of the room. She doesn’t make contact with anyone.

There are about 30 students in the big room and no one wanted to be her friend. She doubted her bully had something to do with it.

There are bookshelves at the back and desks with chairs where the students sit.

Jihyo looks at her mobile when her bully, Jennie, approaches her.

“What do you have there?” She tries to look at the screen.

Jihyo doesn’t reply. She only looks up for a moment.

Jennie’s hair is dark brown with curls. She always wore short skirts.

Jihyo knew she used to be a model, but she was fired from her agency.

She didn’t understand why she was on this course. She was never good at writing anything. Before Jennie could say something else, the professor arrived.

She gets back to her friends in the front row. Amelia puts her mobile in her black bag and takes her notebook and pencil case to put it on her desk.

They would talk about dialogue in short plays. She listens and takes notes. Even if Professor Minatozaki had a soothing voice, she could still concentrate.

After 30 minutes, the thing that she dreaded the most was coming true. They would form a group to make up a short story.

Unfortunately, she has to be in the same group as her bully.

Instead, Jihyo writes her own story in her notebook. She knew they wouldn’t say anything to her.

She doesn’t realize Professor Minatozaki is looking her way.

When there is a break, she approaches her.

Everyone else has left the classroom. She has moved back to her seat.

“Is everything alright?” Sana stands behind her.

She turns around. She was 5’6”, so she felt short towards her 6’2”.

“Yeah, why?”

“I just wondered. You don’t like teamwork?”

“I can do that too, but I prefer writing my own”

“Don’t worry; there won’t be many of those. Teamwork that is.” Sana smiles.

“I know what you meant.” She smiles back.

“If you need help with your writing, don’t hesitate to ask.”

“I will.”

She looks at her when she walks out of the classroom.

She wished she dared to tell her about her bully. Not many teachers and professors would ask her how she was doing. She wasn’t ready to confide in her just yet.

She takes her bag and is about to leave the room.

“So you’re trying to seduce our professor to get a better grade?” Jennie and her two friends have got there.

Jihyo looks down and tries to ignore them.

They try to stop her from leaving. “She asked you a question.” The redhead called Nayeon says, upset.

Jihyo tries to push them away from the doorway. She had to get to the bathroom before the class would continue.

She is saved when other students get back. She manages to escape. She runs to the bathroom. She tries to hold her tears. If only the day would end soon so she could go home.

After washing her hands, she gets back to the classroom.

The teamwork continues. Professor Minatozaki didn’t force her to be part of it. One person from each group reads from the paper about the story they had come up with.

The day ends at lunchtime. Jihyo takes her time. She knew her bully would leave.

Professor Minatozaki gets to her after everybody has gone.

She is packing her things in her bag.

“In case things aren’t fine, you can talk to me. It won’t go any further.”

“Thanks, but everything is good. I have to go.” She takes her bag.

“Okay, see you tomorrow.” Sana says and watches her leave.

Jihyo gets to her car. She knew she sensed something wasn’t right. She wanted to tell her the truth. She didn’t know how long she could take this. She had no friends, and her parents lived far away. She wanted more courage to face her bullies.

Before going to bed, she decides to tell Professor Minatozaki about it.