XI

══ Chapter 11 ══

╔══ ≪ °❈° ≫ ══╗

Lydia stared at her ceiling. The sparkled swirls above were barely illuminated. The lights from the neighborhood outside clambered through the blinds, but not enough to shield her from her fear of the lurking darkness. She had the hem of her nightgown clenched in her fists, trying to convince herself to get up and ask her father to read her another story to aid her waking mind . She felt frozen in her place, until she heard loud voices from down the hall.

She slowly sat up clutching Rupert, her ratted teddy bear with one ear, and placed her bare feet onto the plush beige carpet. The voices started to get louder and she clutched her bear tighter.

She stood up and blinked a couple of times to adjust her eyes to find the door. All that ran through her frightened mind was to find her father to help her back down. She slowly turned the knob, as to not alert the danger.

The hallway was a void with any illumination, except the light seeping through the cracked door of her parents room. That's where she'd find her father, and she'd tell him all of her ridiculous fears. He'd laugh and tell her the world has many monsters, all of which were in the light and not the shadows.

She was stepping down the hallway, until she heard the sounds of the voices become screams. She couldn't make sense of any of the words, but she immediately knew they weren't the voices of monsters; but her parents.

There was the sound of loud crashing and glass breaking. She jumped back slightly, not expecting the noise. She heard her mother screaming as more thuds and squelches rang through the hallway.

"Daddy?" She called out lightly, while her mom continued screaming. There was no response until she heard a voice, that wasn't her mothers call back.

"Lydia?"

Lydia heard the knocking at the door blend into her dream and she sat up quickly in the hotel bed. A tear trickled down and she quickly wiped it away, hoping not to let anyone see her cry. She made her way to the door and opened it slightly to reveal a sympathetic JJ.

"Hi." Lydia sniffled and tried to shake her head awake. She didn't know how she'd slept so heavily to unravel memories she desperately tried to avoid. Her eyes blinked rapidly to adjust her eyes.

"Do you know what time it is?" The blonde questioned, glancing down at Lydia's bare legs. The brunette only wore a baggy t-shirt that read 'Locally Hated', paired only with a pair of black underwear.