Chapter Four

Math class had never felt so slow. Piko had informed Fukase that Oliver had agreed to eat lunch with them and now every second felt like hours to him. He watched the hands on the clock tick, barely paying attention to a word that came out of the teacher's mouth, not that he would be listening anyway.

He doodled on the corner of his notebook page, butterflies and moths with spiral-patterned wings. Will the bell just ring already? He thought, shading in a moth's wing.

As soon as that bell rang, he'd bolt. He'd go to lunch and...

And he'd see Oliver.

That's right, Piko was inviting Oliver over! That was today! But he wasn't ready, nowhere near ready to face the person who just might be the current object of his affection.

Fukase began to worry. What if he makes a bad first impression? Well, technically, it wouldn't be the first, but still! What if he starts tripping over his words the second he sees him? There was so much that could go wrong and it was driving Fukase crazy!

Ding Dong, Bing Bong!

Fukase's plans to bolt were the last thing on his mind. Instead, he packed his things as slowly as possible, aiming to be the last one out of the class. Hopefully Piko could introduce Oliver to the group and start a conversation without Fukase's awkwardness getting in the way.

But reality is often cruel.

"Hey, Fukase! We came to pick you up," Piko was sounding too enthusiastic as he stood outside the classroom door, waiting for his friend to follow.

WHY ARE THEY HERE ALREADY I'M NOT READY!

"Hey, Piko... I didn't expect you to come pick me up." Fukase smiled at him but what he really meant was, "PIKO HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME??"

"We came to get you so we can all walk together, is that okay?" Oliver asked.

"Yeah. Of course."

"Great!" Oliver cheered, "Let's go!"

Fukase blushed and hurriedly shoved the rest of his things into his bag. He didn't want to keep Oliver waiting.

"Okay... I'm ready." I AM NOT READY!!!

Fukase walked over to the door where Piko and his current crush were standing, anxiety rushing through his veins. He tried to stand on the other side of Piko to put as much room as possible between himself and Oliver but Piko wouldn't let that happen. Oliver started walking and so did Fukase, but Piko hung behind a little, leaving Fukase walking right next to Oliver.

They walked in awkward silence for a few moments before Piko poked Fukase's back sharply.

As if that gives me any idea of what to say, Fukase thought back furiously.

"So... what's your favorite subject?" he asked. It was basic, but it was a start.

"English, naturally. It's the easiest for me, after all. What about you?"

"Me? Uh... I really like music, I guess," Fukase replied quietly.

"Really? Music was my favorite back in London! I was going to take it here, too, but there wasn't enough space in my schedule since I'm taking language support classes..."

Suddenly, Fukase had an idea. "How about this! I'll tell you what we're doing in music class, and you can come over on the weekends and we'll practice together. If you want to. If you're free. If you're okay with coming over. I can also come over to your place, if you'd like—"