Chapter Twenty-Three

Hours later, Danny finally comes back. Hearing the front door creak open made my heart drop. I was hoping he'd stay out all night again. My mind is racing with all types of possibilities, ways he'd get rid of me. I've somehow managed to survive the infamous ghostface killer and I intend to keep it that way. I'm just not sure if he wants to keep me alive anymore.

I still want to save her but I don't know how. I figure when it's the right time, I'll know what to do.

"Did you miss me, sweetheart?" Danny calls out to me while shutting the door behind him joyously. He seems to be in a better mood but that doesn't mean I'm coming straight to him. I stay sat on the floor next to the bed, wishing he would just leave me alone. Of course he doesn't.

"...Are you hiding from me?" He suddenly asks. I can tell he's finding this amusing. He's probably grinning ear to ear right now. I keep quiet and still. I hear him walking around the apartment until he finally stops right at the entrance of the bedroom door. His shadow seems to grow larger from under the door. I scoot closer to the wall on the other side of the bed, away from the door.

Silence.

This is making me so anxious. Why doesn't he just come in already? Suddenly the bedroom door creaks open slowly, making me jump slightly. I hear his footsteps walk around the small area of the other side of the bed. Then they stop. I have no reason to be scared right now, I think. But I am.

Unsure, I slowly peek over the bed and immediately my eyes are met with his. He's sitting in the edge of the bed looking in my direction, at me. He has a smile on his face.

"Found you"

Feeling uneasy, I force myself to get off the floor and stand up. I hold my arm awkwardly for emotional support.

"How did you know I didn't leave...?" I ask, averting my eyes from his stern gaze.

"You told me yourself. Now tell me why your sitting here in the dark" He says, "Hiding from me"

"I...don't know" I lie, "I just felt like it"

"You just felt like it" He repeats to himself. I look back at him. His smile is gone. Does he know that I know? Shit.

"What? Am I not allowed to do that?" I ask, irritated. I feel upset with him, but not in the way I usually am. My feelings are all mixed up these days.

He says nothing but stares. His stare always manages to make me uncomfortable so I look away again. I squeeze my arm tighter, digging my nails into my skin. It pinches but I'd rather focus on that than him.

"You're the only one with a problem here, not me" Is all he says before laying down with his hands behind his head. My eye twitches. I already know he doesn't care about how I feel but he doesn't have to act like a dick about it.

"I need air" I say briefly and storm out of the room. I make my way to the front door. I hear him get off the bed to follow me. I open the door but it gets slammed shut before I can open it enough for me to get through. His hand is hovering over me, keeping it closed in case I challenge him. I turn my head and glare up at him. Suddenly my fear subsided and anger overtakes.

"You're not going out there, (y/n)" He states. I grit my teeth and brush past him to the living room. He follows behind me. For once, I'm starting the cause to our arguments. I sit down on the couch and cross my arms in a sassy manner. I close my eyes to avoid looking at him since he decided to stand right in front of me.

"Why're you acting like this?" Danny asks dryly. Is he really playing victim here? Him? I stand up fast, causing him to back up a few inches. Before he can say one word, I cut him off by slapping him hard across the face. His face turns to the side from the impact of my hand, his cheek slightly red now. His expression is blank.

"How dare you-" I start before I'm stopped by his hand. My cheek immediately stings from the slap he just gave back. His eyes are dark, staring me down. Immediately, I fight back by pushing him against the wall roughly. He hits his head a little too hard, causing him grunt painfully and shut his eyes. He lets out a dry laugh, a smile tugging at his lips. It pisses me off that he's finding this entertaining. He recovers quickly and backhands me across the face. The sting is ten times worse. I fall backwards onto the couch and hold my cheek with my hand, a little shocked at how hard he hit me. As he comes closer to me, I quickly kick him in the stomach. He stumbles back a little and holds his side where I managed to land a kick. He hitches his breathe and grits his teeth. I'm not afraid to fight back anymore, not right now at least.

He attempts to come closer again and I kick at him, but this time he catches my leg. He's quick to move on me and I try my best to scoot away from him but he immediately holds me down. His knee holds down my leg, my other uselessly hanging off the cough. He tightly holds my wrists down. I squirm under him, cussing and yelling at him. He doesn't oblige nor care.

He squeezes my wrists even tighter, turning them a little, causing me to shut up and cringe at the painful feeling of it. I stop fighting against him and we both just pause. His grip is a tad looser as he lowers his head a little. His gaze right back into mine. I quickly turn my head away from his, still upset. He grabs a fist full of my hair and forces my head to look forward again. I gasp out in a mixture of pain and surprise.

We're both breathing heavily, panting. I get lost in his eyes again, almost allowing myself to kiss him. Everything is happening so quickly.

Then our attention is caught by someone knocking on the door. Danny closes his eyes and furrows his brow, clearly irritated. For a moment, he stays like this and curses under his breath before letting go of my wrists. He stands up and makes his way to the front door. I close my gaping mouth, slightly embarrassed...and disappointed.

Flustered from the events that just occurred, I sit up and run my hand through my messy hair. I cross my legs and readjust myself. I glance in the direction where Danny is when I hear the same raspy feminine voice from this morning. The lady next door.

"Is everything okay?" I hear her ask, concerned.

"Yeah, just watching some t.v. Sorry we'll turn it down" Danny lies. I let out a small chuckle and shake my head. Of course he's good at making up lies on the spot. He's been lying to the public for so long after all.

"Okay then...I'd appreciate that" She says with uncertainty and then I hear the door close. Danny comes back to the living room and leans against the wall. He huffs and runs a hand through his hair while looking at me.

"Are you done now?"

"...I'm going to bed" I get up quickly and go pass him to the bedroom. I go to my side of the bed and feel something hard under my knee. His phone. I look in the direction of the hallway and see he's not coming yet. Should I?

The sound of cabinets opening are enough to encourage me to pick up the phone and unlock it. Lucky for me, there's no password. I go straight to messages and see at the top is a girl named Evelyn. That must be the blonde girl from earlier. I frown as I read the messages. They are agreeing to meet up late tomorrow night, but they don't say what for. Is he going to kill her tomorrow?

I hear Danny coming and quickly exit out of the messages and turn the phone off. I put it back where I found it and get under the covers. I close my eyes tightly and pretend to be asleep. I hear him shut the door quietly.

I don't think I can sleep tonight, not with what happened just moments ago still on my mind. That and the fact Danny will either kill her or take her tomorrow. Why else would he keep her alive this long? I have to warn her.