Chapter 6

I'm not certain if he really remembers, or if he is just saying that. "Weren't you the girl I saved from the Skiz fight? I remember setting off a dust bomb. Also, I remember stealing a bottle of this kind of wine and drinking some in a back alley. You were there too. We took turns drinking from the bottle... and then... and then I kissed you. It's all coming back to me now! Everything, all the things that happened that I had forgotten! I loved you so much then, and I want the chance to love you that much again," Day tells me. It usually takes a lot for me to cry, but I don't hold back now. I let the tears stream down my face and I am amazed that he actually remembers. "Yes," I sob. "Yes yes yes yes yes! I was that girl. I really loved you and it was so painful when the doctors told me that you wouldn't remember who I was. It broke my heart. I didn't think I could bear it to let you go. Time never quite healed the wounds that leaving you had left, and I almost didn't want to talk to you that night when I saw you in the street. But I am so glad you stopped me, Day." Both of us are crying now, right in the middle of the restaurant, but the people around us have the decency not to stare. "I loved you then and I'll love you now. I want you to love me back just as much," I tell him. "I will, June, I promise," he replies. We sit at the table a while longer and collect ourselves. We pay for the meal, and Day takes me home. Before I get the chance to open my apartment door, he puts his hand on the back of my neck, and I shiver a little. I had almost forgotten what his touch felt like. He leans his face in close to mine, and I stare into those brilliant blue eyes, feeling like I'm drowning. Day leans in closer and gently presses his lips to mine. It feels much different to kiss him now than it did all those years ago, back when we were fifteen. My stomach feels fluttery and I remember once more what it feels like to be in love. Day kisses me harder, and I kiss him back. All too soon, we split apart and the kiss is over. "I'll see you soon then, yeah?" Day asks. I nod and tell him goodbye as I head into my apartment. I watch him as he walks down the hall and out of sight. He had changed so much in these many years of us being apart, but I realize he has changed for the better. I realize just how much I love him and how much he means to me. I won't be letting him go any time soon.