Chapter 2

I accept his offer and he and Eden start walking with me. Once we reach my apartment, I open the door and thank Day and Eden for walking me home. Eden starts walking away and I start to head into my apartment, but before I get in, I feel a hand on my shoulder. I turn around and it's Day who is still there.
He looks at me and says "I really think I know you from somewhere. I just can't place my finger on it. I would really like to get the chance to get to know you though. Will you join me for lunch tomorrow, yeah?" I suck in a breath. I don't know if I can do it. Will he be the same person I met on the streets twelve years ago, or will he be a completely different person? Will talking to him again be good for me, or will it just trigger the painful memories again? There is only one way to find out. I exhale.
"Yes," I say. "That would be wonderful. What time should I be ready?"
"I'll come pick you up at noon, yeah? Does that work for you?" Day says. I smile at him.
"Yes that would be wonderful. Thank you," I reply. Eden comes back down the hallway and looks at Day quizzically. Day gives him a wink and Eden nods understandingly. He goes back down the hallway, leaving Day and me alone. He looks at me and I can see in his eyes that he is trying to remember where he knew me from. "Have a good night, June. I'll see you tomorrow, yeah," Day says.
"Bye Daniel," I say. He waves as he turns to go. I watch him as he walks down the hall and out of sight.