Chapter 5

"Well maybe I'll tell you a little bit about myself and that'll ease your conscience." He nods for me to go on. "I was born here in the Republic in Ruby Sector. My parents died when I was very young so I don't remember them too well. Back when they still made kids take the Trials, I scored a 1500."
"A perfect score," Day interrupts.
"Yes," I say. "I went to Drake University; I was the youngest person ever to go there. I became a government agent and..." I trail off, not knowing how much more I should tell him, how much I should give away that I knew him before this. I want so badly for him to remember me, for him to remember the love that we had, but I don't know if I can tell him. I wouldn't be able to bear it if he didn't remember.
"And?" Day wonders.
"My brother was killed and you were the prime suspect." I hear his sharp intake of breath. "I was supposed to hunt you down and capture you to have you executed. Instead, I fell in love with you. You treated me so kindly even though you had every right not to. Of course, at the time you didn't know that I was working undercover, but still." He laughs softly, and I continue. "I ended up handing you in, and because of me, your mother and your brother died. We escaped to the Colonies and worked for the Patriots to try and assassinate Anden." Just then, the waitress comes back with our food.
"I'm sorry, but we have had a shortage of wine recently so this stuff isn't as good as what we normally get, but it's the best we have right now," she says. We thank her anyway and she leaves us again. We start to eat, and the food is pretty good.
"This wine isn't bad," Day says. "I used to drink it when I was on the streets of Lake." I recognize it too. It was the wine we had before Day kissed me for the first time. I don't say anything about it though. Day takes a sip of it. "I think I'm starting to remember something now!" he exclaims.