Chapter 1

Nicoles's POV

I lied awake in bed trying to absorb everything that happened when I was gone. It didn't even registered to me that something like that could have happen. It's like a movie or something.

The four persons who stole my car turned out to be wanted criminals. I don't even know what I was thinking stopping to help them. It was a foolish move but hey, what if they turned out to be good persons and something happened, the guilt would surely eat me alive.

I learned that Emilia was devastated when they initially thought that I was one of the burnt body in the car. They got my ID since those four took my wallet and left me to die in the woods. I was lucky to be found by good samaritans.

Emilia told me that Madeleine missed me a lot, she was not eating properly and even made a lot of tantrums. The little girl had grown really attached to me. "Promise that you'll never disappear again." She told me in a her sweet and mild voice.

I looked her in the eyes and assured her. "I promised." I knew I should not be making promises like this since I do not know where my relationship with Emilia will go but no matter what happens between us, I'll make sure to stay on Maddy's life.

I called Jane just to tell her that I'm alive and okay. I could hear her sigh of relief when she heard my voice. They wanted to visit me at Michelle's house but I told them that I'm too tired and will just see them at school. The truth was I'm not ready to face then especially James even after I found out that the guys helped search for me and stood by Emilia's side.

I was glad to learn that Mitch proposed to Natalie and my sister accepted. They haven't discussed the details but they wanted to do it as soon as possible. I could see the happiness in my sister's eyes. She had never been like this before and it was all because of the badass detective.

My parents were being stuck up as always. I can't believe that they didn't even care that I could be dead and their only concern was the merger to the Averys and Natalie's marriage. I mean, what the hell? John hasn't been buried and they already thought of a back up solution to unite our families. I can't really believe that they're my parents.

The most shocking news of all was the death of John. I really hated that guy but what happened to him was a tragedy. Never did I wished or hoped for him to die. A little kicking in the ass would do. But it cannot be helped, based on the 'real' investigation, it was his fault. However, being the only son and heir of the Averys, the investigation was buried with lies. His parents turned him into a martyr and the girl that killed him might not even see the lights of day again.

I sighed.

And to think that I also became a suspect. I wonder if my parents would support me or bury me just to remain in good graces with the Averys.

"What are you thinking?" A raspy and sleepy voice asked me. I must have awakened sleeping beauty. I looked down chestnut haired girl that was lying on my chest.

"Just absorbing the events that happened. Did I wake you?" I asked.

She snuggled closer and kissed my neck. "Go to sleep." I smiled as I heard a faint snore. Emilia was currently was lying on my right side while Maddy was in between us with her hands on my waist. The little girl seemed to be in deep sleep with a smile on her face.

I looked outside where the moon was the only source of light. When I was about to close my eyes, I saw a falling star and wished for everything to be okay.

When I opened my eyes, the two source of my happiness was nowhere in sight. The clock stated that it was almost noon. Emilia must have let me sleep in and told Maddy not to bother me.