Chapter One

If you didn't know them, you would've thought they were out of their minds judging by the way they danced around the room cheering and every once in a while jumping up and down like five-year-olds in a sweets shop.

But that wasn't the case. The two girls were getting ready for a big night out: Tessa, the shorter one with brown hair had turned 18 tonight and they were going out celebrating.

"I think you should wear this one!" Marlene, the taller girl with red hair smiled and showed her friend a top that said "I'm legal!". Tessa laughed, you could expect nothing less from her than a shirt like that. Marlene knew her so well it was sometimes a bit scary.

While putting the piece of clothing on the birthday girl couldn't help but smile while thinking about how lucky she was, to get to spend her birthday with one of her best friends.

They both had moved to London about three months ago to study and work, it had been their dream for a really long time and now.. they were living it. It was like 'Sex and the city', minus the sex. Friends moving to a new place, starting a whole new life in Manhattan. Well, London.

Tessa was from Finland and Marlene from Austria. The two girls had gotten to know each other two years back online, but they were really close. They knew pretty much everything about each other and when they moved, it was more than ideal to share a flat. Besides the fact that they loved spending time together, it was a lot cheaper to live with someone than on your own. Neither of them were really swimming in money and London wasn't the cheapest place to live in.

The flat itself was really nice. It was only ten minutes outside the central of London (if you took the underground) and it was big enough for both of them to have their own rooms, a livingroom, a nice kitchen with a small dining area. The flat was a great catch because there were a lot smaller apartments with a rent way higher then what the girls had to pay.

"So, how do I look?" Tessa asked and winked. She wasn't one to usually really dress up but every once in a while it was fun. She was a bit insecure, well not even a bit, so she was never too sure how she looked.

Marlene only laughed happily and hugged her best friend.

"You look amazing, as always!" Tessa blushed a little, thinking of what a sweetheart her friend was, she was always complimenting her which wasn't something she was used to. There weren't a time she wouldn't have succesed in making her happy or chancing her mood from a complete shit to the most loved person on earth. Marlene put on a beautiful green dress that complemented her brown eyes, that looked green in the sun, and her dark red hair that they had just re-dyed yesterday. She looked stunning, but not too festive.

They were only going to the pub for a few, now that Tessa was legal to drink. She wasn't much of a drinker nor one tp throw a big party so they decided to celebrate only a bit. They loved their local pub where they hung out a lot on their free time. The girls put on their shoes, checked the lights and electrics and walked out the flat.

The warm wind greeted them as they stepped outside. It was rather warm to be October and the night was beautiful. For Marlene it felt a bit chilly since she got cold easily and back in Austria she was used to it still being even quite hot even though it was the end of autumn. They walked a few hundred meters before they arrived to their destination and the guy behind the bar, Terry, immediately shouted: "Happy birthday girl!", as they walked in.

Marlene and Tessa greeted back and ordered themselves pints. Countries where they came from beer was a popular drink, not to get drunk, more like something you enjoyed after a day at work. After having a short conversation with Terry, they walked over to an empty table, which was not hard to find in the nearly empty pub.