He walked up to Wylmon and caressed his shoulder. It warmed his heart to see Wylmon's tense resolve dissolve with his touch. "If you promise to be careful, you could spend the night in the domain. I have just ascended to my position as Monarch-in-Prospect of the capital. I have a seat in the court and the ruling council." Heron forced a smile and felt dirty for having to resort to such manipulative tactics. "If you allow me, I could use my newly gained powers to safely escort you to the northern border when things are calmer."

"Congratulations," Wylmon said with spite, "but I didn't ask for your help. I have a Right of Passage. You'll have more meaningful ways to use your powers, you. Goodbye?" Wylmon turned to the door. But Heron blocked his path.

"You cannot go like this."

Wylmon's eyes narrowed. And Heron rushed to kiss him. Swiftly, Wylmon put a hand between them. "What are you doing?"

Trying to keep you from making a mistake, idiot. "You have to trust me."

"Trust you on what? Spit it out," he lashed out.

The aggressiveness of it seemed to scorch Heron from within. "A hunt could be launched on Gulgra tonight," Heron said. "A court reunion will take place soon and if an agreement is reached an Order of Execution could be issued."

"That means—"

"That means the law is effective at the time it is agreed upon. Brigadier Kerm has everything ready. And your name was listed as one of the suspects of Gulgra murdering people in the city."

The accusation seemed to offend him deeply, and with a grimace of disgust, he refuted, "I haven't murdered anyone."

"I don't doubt it," Heron said. "But the point is, it's too dangerous for you to cross the border tonight. Just wait," Heron reached for Wylmon's hands. "When the situation settles, I'll arrange things for you."

Wylmon freed himself. "It's happening again," he whispered, shaking his head, "Ancients, it's happening again." He was agitated. "I should warn the others."

"Others?"

"Amyra, her sister—"

"Amyra's Gulgra?" Heron cut him off. "You know her?" he was screaming. He felt betrayed. "You were mingling with the enemy?"

Wylmon realized he had spoken more than he should have. "Amyra was coerced into doing what she did," he explained. "I know it doesn't excuse it all, but she regrets it terribly. She's not Gulgra, her sister, whom she had been trying to help, is. She's a kid and will be butchered if I don't warn them. If the guard is already included in this, this is the safest it will ever be for us from now on."

Heron reached into his pocket and retrieved his gloves. As he let the way free to Wylmon, he charged the gloves with lightning stones. Heron wished to tell himself he was doing this only to keep Wylmon from danger but he knew he was doing it to punish him as well. For covering Amyra. For how long? The door clicked open. Wylmon looked at Heron bashfully before he advanced into the corridor.

"I'm sorry," Heron reached for Wylmon's neck, cracking Raya only enough to make Wylmon faint without killing him. Sparks sizzling on the tip of his fingers rushed through him, making Wylmon convulse.

His hand was away from him as quickly as he had touched him. Wylmon slumped on the ground like a dead weight. After quickly removing his vest, belt, and stones, he came to inspect Wylmon's pulse. Heron exhaled with relief. Thank the Ancients. Maybe Wylmon would never forgive him but he couldn't hold a grudge against him if he was dead either.

What was he to do now? Elana, where was she? She would know better what to do. A stare at the clock on the wall, Heron's pulse rushed. The reunion of the ruling council would take place soon. He wasn't about to start doing things wrong already.