The object of distraction isn't an aggressive training tool, but a person. From a distance, I'd swear it was a child approaching us. And that isn't a short joke—I've endured plenty to use them over the years—but a testament for how young this person looks. On further inspection, the greying hair and mature eyes has me reevaluating. She's either twelve or sixty.

They.

What?

Schol glances over at me before smiling at the new addition to the forest. "Jaus, thank you for coming." Even though he's not maintaining eye contact, he's still somehow able to speak in my head. Espiri culture doesn't follow the same gender norms. Use 'they' to refer to them, unless told otherwise. And don't ask about their genitals.

Who the fuck asks a stranger about their genitals? Why would you even think I'd do that?

My apologies, I work with stupid people all day.

"Jaus, my favorite portal master," Sava cheers. She turns to me, like her next sentence is for my benefit. "They're the best in the business. Roe's portals always make me sick, but never Jaus." I have no idea what she's talking about.

Jaus sighs and I can tell from that one sound that it's been a really long day. They flick their hand in a circle motion. A white oval of light fills the space between us, so bright in the dark forest that I have to squint my eyes.

I look around nervously. I've encountered the forest guards twice, but they were loud enough both times that it was easy to avoid them. An incandescent beam of light is definitely bound to draw them in, though.

"Are we not concerned about the guards?" I ask nervously. Schol crinkles his eyebrows at me, so I elaborate even when my worry should be blatantly obvious. "You know, because of this big fucking thing lighting up the forest like a lighthouse."

It's Jaus who explains. "Espiri and no one else can see it. You shouldn't be able to, either. Are you a... well, never mind—silly question. The Saaros are long gone." Schol doesn't make a movement to confirm or deny but Jaus keeps talking as if the answer to their unfinished question doesn't particularly matter. "Saaros could see our magic, I've been told, but no one else."

"Does this mean I can make portals too?"

Jaus doesn't even dignify my dumb question with a response; instead they let out an absurdly loud belly laugh. I'll take that as a crystal clear 'no.' They hold their hand out towards the portal, directing everyone. "Let's go. I don't have all day."

Sava is the first, walking vaguely in the direction that Jaus is pointing at. She almost doesn't walk through the light—portal—at all, but Jaus grabs her elbow at the last minute and shifts Sava right to the bright white center.

Sava doesn't walk out the other side.

Schol goes through next, disappearing right where Sava went.

Jaus makes another gesture with their hand, and I take it as 'hurry up.' I warily follow where the others went.

I expect it to burn, but the light does the complete opposite. It's cold to the bone, making my whole body shiver. I can't tell if I'm surrounded by all white, to the point where I can't even see myself, or if I've lost my vision. Whatever this magic is, it presses down on me like bricks pushing into me from all directions.

"You can't just stop. You need to keep walking," Jaus' voice tells me. I take a step forward, and then another, though it feels like I'm walking through solid ice and moving nowhere. "Almost there."

It takes three more tiny, impossible steps and then I'm surrounded by color again. Schol's pinkish skin and green bow tie. Sava's brownish tones and red dress. My own beige shirt. Navy sky and grey earth. Not a tree, building, or sign of life for as far as I can see.