Two...

I woke up when a door opened, letting light inside the metal box I was in. Everything hurt.

I felt someone pick me up, I let out a whimper at the pain that flared through me.

I could hear people talking faintly as I was carried into a building.

I felt someone take me from whoever was carrying me, this person ran into a different room.

A plastic mask was put over my muzzle before I succumbed to the darkness once more.
.
.
.
The next time I woke up, I could faintly feel something in my foreleg.

"Oh, you found her!" I heard an ecstatic man exclaim.

"She's a little escape artist she is," the man went on.

"You should be able to take her back soon, especially with your medical training," I heard another man say.

"Oh, that's wonderful! The kids were devastated when she left, they'll be so happy when she comes back! I'll be sure they're careful with her injuries," the rest of the conversation went fuzzy as I fell back asleep.
.
.
.
The next time I woke up, I was being picked up and carried. The fuzzy feeling was dull, but it was still there.

"Oh, they're so excited that she's coming home," it was the man from before.

I opened my eyes to see a brunette man holding me, which was no easy feat.

I knew I was a large dog. I could see the sky above, I looked around dazedly to see a parking lot.

"Oh she's finally awake," the man carrying me enthused. I was placed into the back of a white SUV beside a bag of dog food.

I heard the driver's door of the car open and close. "Morons; anywho, she'll do quite nicely," I heard him say as he started the car.
.
.
.
We were in the car for about half an hour before the man put it in park.

"Now to see if I've perfected it," the man sounded almost as enthusiastic as earlier, it sounded much more real this time around...