Perhaps it made sense. If I were to design a new pocket world, I would have it filter out the higher frequency ultraviolet rays that caused skin damage. "Okay, let's go swimming."

Hand-in-hand, we walked the half-kilometer to the beach. Leaving her cane behind, Anara limped as she leaned against me. At the beach, I noticed that Adam and his family gleefully splashed naked in the surf, their clothes piled on the dry sand. Okay, so it was normal here. Anara stopped near the water's edge and shucked off her clothes as if it was the most natural and innocent thing in the world — perhaps, as it should. I followed suit, or un-suit, I should say.

Glancing up at me and biting a lip, she paused before taking off the half mask and arm sleeve that normally covered the Stone Curse signs. Half undressed, I nodded to her. "It's okay."

Much of her face left side, including the eye; parts of her left arm centered on the elbow; and half of her upper left leg had the appearance of veined gray stone. As I removed the last of my clothing, my eyes scanned her nude body, but I tried not to ogle. Despite the curse, Anara was stunningly beautiful with a lithe body, pert breasts, and smooth, light-tan skin that almost begged to be touched. Completing the package were long, full auburn hair, a piercing violet eye, and full lips on a gentle diamond-shaped face. Sucking in a breath, I looked away lest an outwardly visible sign of arousal became awkwardly apparent.

Still, the best part of Anara was not visible — her compassionate heart and an infectious, joyful spirit, colored with innocence. In my mind, I reaffirmed the commitment I made to help her end the Stone Curse, if not for this world, then for her.

Holding out a hand, I said, "Let's get wet."

We splashed into the surf, letting the waves crest upon us. Once reaching waist-deep in the refreshingly cool water, Anara dove, disappearing beneath the white-capped waves. Whatever limp hindered her movement on land vanished as she swam circles around me with the grace of a dolphin. In this world of magic, I almost expected her to sprout a mermaid's tail.

She surfaced behind and splashed me across my still dry back with a giggle. "Oh, no you don't," I challenged. Pursuing her to deeper water, she stayed just out of my reach. Compared to her smooth, efficient swimming strokes, I merely flayed at the water.

We swam the length of the beach, back and forth, stopping to admire darting colorful fish at the reef's edge, and then to play chase with Adam's laughing children. The simple joys of water lifted my heart and renewed my spirit, leaving the concerns of past and future behind.

Ending in chest deep water, Anara came close to me. She sighed while casting her gaze at the family as they played. "So happy are they," she said, smiling. "I would wish to have that one day." Turning back to me, Anara placed a hand on my shoulder and lifted her violet eye. "Micah, I wish to ask you something. When this is done, when we rid Elysium of the curse, may I court you? A fine family we would have."

My breath halted and my jaw dropped. That was unexpected.

Anara pulled her fingers to her mouth and her eye widened. "Did I speak wrongly?"

Dipping my head and blowing out a held breath, I replied, "No. It's just... On my world, it is the man that asks that question. Well, usually." I decided not to mention the premature family planning part. But in a world where the gender power dynamics were reversed, her request made sense, and even showed respect. With a grin, I nodded. "How 'bout we court each other?"

"Let it be so." A smile as bright as sunshine burst on Anara's lips. She jumped into my arms, wrapping her arms around my neck, and placed a kiss on my cheek. A warm tingle remained behind at the spot her lips touched.