Thoughts must share

Start from the beginning

"Don't mention it. What happened though? If you would like to share?"

You nodded while grabbing a spare fabric to blow your nose. "Of course, you know all too well though, it's just about her, and I don't even know how to tell her about leaving the city." You started sobbing again and blew your nose harder this time. The brunette looked at you with sympathy and brought you in for another hug.

"Oh, my poor darling, we will find a way, either to end it or whatever pleases you, okay?"

She combed your hair with her fingers and rubbed your back, and you leaned your cheek on her sternum.

"Okay."

"Now, want some water or food? I haven't seen you all day, surely you didn't hide any food in your room, am I right?"

A well-timed grumbling noise groaned loudly from your belly. You didn't even bother to be embarrassed, just looking at her with your big, puffy eyes and a nod. The shorter woman laughed and patted your shoulders a little harshly, making you grimace but giggle.

"It seems your stomach answered itself. I'll be right back."

------------------

The lord commander had been rather busy, especially when it came to the end of the winter season. No matter which year it was, some areas in all countries surely encountered snowstorms, causing damage to the fields, the farms, the pastures, animals frozen to death and people starving from it, and so increased the number of refugees. The famine needed to be solved, yes, the small council was always talking about it between meetings and meetings, but for the essential duty of the lord commander, the problem was mostly landing on the bandits and robbers that turned from the people who were starving, who lost their home, and who moved to the south to avoid the harsh weather and lost their wealth from robbery as well.

She never felt her job was easy, no, not a single day in her life possessing the state of Lord Commander was unchallenging and facile, and as a female knight that had never existed in history before, the judgments and criticizing eyes of all men, up from officeholders and down to citizens, were never vanished or lightened, if not even crueler. She was thankfully having support from the new king and her fellow coworkers, as well as her dear friend Jamie promoting her to be the commander, otherwise she might consider retiring to her homeland as the Lord of Evenfall Hall. However, the burden on her shoulders was always taken as a part of her, and she would not push it aside or run away from her responsibility, that simply was not how she was made of, even though it meant less time to be with you.

A deep sigh left the blonde knight's mouth at the thought of you, her cute little friend whom she might hold few unknowing feelings for. There was no direct connection between you two since the last dinner and drinking that she managed to squeeze a couple of hours at night in the middle of a swamped week, which seemed like a century before, only the packages with little notes attached transmitting a few times between you two. She confessed to herself that she tried to wear out the clothes as hard as she could during the training to get the chance of sending and getting messages from you, fearing that delivering letters to you every day out of nowhere would be too annoying.

Her mind was weary from the endless work chain of training, arranging, supervising, and even talking to other people, her energy was thoroughly drained from all of them. She was not truly a workaholic, particularly when working got so tiresome and heavy and annoying, and consuming all of her time.

She really missed having a break without any thread of tasks strangling her brain, and laughing with you carelessly in the forest, her room, the tavern you lived in or even in the dining hall under her feet of this building, literally anywhere was acceptable if she was laughing with you. She missed the time she spent with you.