Chapter 124 - The Past (i)

Start from the beginning

Gu Yan said indifferently, "Who knows. Maybe he was hoping that when he came back, he'd find me tumbling around with the other children."

Yan Suizhi laughed softly, still with a trace of indolence. "So did you live up to his expectations?"

"No. I found a bench in a corner to wait for him."

That long bench faced the lively lawn, and the admin building of the orphanage was visible with just a turn of his head. Since he wouldn't get too dull whilst also being able to catch his grandfather leaving the block, it was the best spot that Gu Yan could find as a child.

Not long after waiting on the bench, he saw a figure come out of the admin building.

He turned his head over and found that it wasn't his grandfather, but a young man.

A very young man, possibly just reaching his twenties.

Well-dressed, he cut a slender and tall figure in his clothes. When coming down from the steps, the hem of his coat was gently lifted by a passing breeze. In spite of his youth, he had a graceful bearing about him.

That man didn't leave immediately after coming out from the block, but stood by the lawn for a while, watching the children play around.

Sunlight illuminated his face, washing out his skin, and his limpid eyes reflected brightly, like they were covered with a layer of crystal clear glass.

He looked gentle, but not in good spirits.

That was the conclusion Gu Yan came to when he looked at him, then.

Barely a moment later, the young man noticed Gu Yan, sitting alone at one side. He unhurriedly walked over, bending over slightly to ask him, "Why are you on your own? Did you get into an argument?"

He assumed that Gu Yan was one of those from the orphanage, yet for some reason, was unable to join in the fun with everyone else.

"I'm waiting for someone." That was how Gu Yan had replied.

"Who are you waiting for?"

"My grandfather."

The young man nodded, only then realising that he had been mistaken.

As they spoke, the matron responsible for keeping an eye on the children on the lawn noticed the young man and came over to greet him.

"I see. Alright, I'll go off first." The young man languidly waved at Gu Yan, walking over to speak to the matron.

When conversing with others, the young man would always have a smile on his face, making him appear more gentle.

"I heard a bit of your chat and found out that you had come to make a donation, and it wasn't your first time at the orphanage." Gu Yan paused, then said, "But I only chanced upon you that one time."

Yan Suizhi didn't speak after listening, only uttering a soft "ah" after a while, saying, "I have a bit of an impression of that. But it isn't strange that you didn't run into me after that. I seldom go on weekends as it tends to be more crowded. It was only because of a last-minute change in my diving club's schedule that I went to Helan that weekend."

At this mention, Gu Yan recalled what he had once said. "You often went diving during that time?"

"Mm," Yan Suizhi acknowledged. Somehow, when the subject was brought up, he fell back into silence. Gu Yan keenly sensed that his mood had dampened again. Some time later, he then said in a low voice, as if immersed in recollection, "Not just then. I started diving very early on, around the age of fifteen. I was obsessed with it for a period. It was a marvellous sport, or so I felt."