Chapter 86 - Fever (ii)

High fevers could make it challenging for people to discern if they were asleep or awake, in a dream or back in reality.

Gu Yan opened his eyes. Perhaps due to his illness, his eyes were exceptionally dark and deep, like evening mist suspended above the surface of a lake. Whether it was the warm light that shafted in from outside, or the faint daylight from the window, none of it shone in his eyes.

His tightly furrowed eyebrows slowly smoothed when he saw Yan Suizhi.

"How did you get a fever? Have you taken medicine?" Yan Suizhi asked in a low voice.

"Mn," Gu Yan responded vaguely. His eyelids still seemed heavy, as though he wasn't awake at all, only looking at Yan Suizhi for a moment before shutting his eyes, and, for some reason, his eyebrows slowly furrowed again. Yan Suizhi couldn't tell if it was because he was used to frowning or if he was feeling uncomfortable.

So did he take medicine or not?

Yan Suizhi was a little unable to set his mind at ease, but forcing Gu Yan to get up and shoving him some medicine under such circumstances might be counter-productive instead. So, he moved his hand away from Gu Yan's forehead, shifted the quilt up a bunch, firmly bundling Gu Yan's arm inside, and said, "Forget it, just sleep first."

By then, Gu Yan's breathing had turned long and even again.

Still leaning over, Yan Suizhi watched him for a while, only straightening up after making sure that he had really fallen back asleep.

He glanced at the slowly darkening sky outside. He initially wanted to draw the curtains, already having the remote in his hand, but, afraid that Gu Yan would wake up in the night to a pitch-black room, he hesitated and ultimately put the remote back down.

Yan Suizhi went downstairs, going around the first floor for a long time before eventually finding the first-aid kit in the short gym that was half-embedded into the floor.

Though not often at home, Gu Yan still stocked it up rather well. Yan Suizhi thought back to the medical preparedness that the nurse was going on about in the morning, and complimented Gu Yan in his mind.

The first-aid kit wasn't small. The medicine boxes inside were neatly organised into its various categories. It barely took Yan Suizhi any effort to find four different types of fever reducers, check the side effects, and pick one that didn't easily trigger adverse drug interactions with other medicines.

When opening the packaging, he checked the production and expiry date in passing, and then was forced to slam the brakes—

This broken plaything had already expired more than a year ago.

Yan Suizhi tossed it one side, irate, picking up another box and checking its expiry date...

Splendid. This had expired as well.

Then the third box...

The fourth box...

Five minutes later, Lawyer Gu's first-aid kit was emptied out. All the medicine in it was tossed aside with utmost scorn, piling into a small mound.

"..."

A pile of expired medicine tidily kept like actual medicine; if not there to hog space, Yan Suizhi couldn't tell what other purpose they served.

Yan Suizhi sighed in admiration, then raised his head, glaring in the direction of the second floor, as if this could make Gu Yan feel shame in his sleep.

He took a photo of these useless medicines, sent them all to the trash disposal bin at the entrance, then dialled Fitz.

"What is it? Ruan?" Miss Fitz seemed to be busy with something, her words garbled, just as though her lips had been stitched shut.