12 | Franken Erudition

Start from the beginning

"No," I shook my head, scanning her from head to toe. Despite the intimidating appearance of a pirate, Gianna still managed to look alluring and feminine, the frilly dress and red corset giving her a touch of softness. "You look amazing."

My jumpiness was most likely a lingering effect of paranoia. It had been two days since I had received the domino, and since then, everything seemed to have gone back to normal with my college classes and volunteering at the shelter. Nothing out of the ordinary had occurred or been left in my car since.

"Too slutty?" Gianna's voice broke through my thoughts.

"What?" I asked softly, snapping back to reality.

"Your eyes were wandering," Gianna teased.

I suddenly became aware of Gianna's height advantage over me. At that moment, I realized that my line of sight was not directed towards her face, but rather towards the generous curves of her chest.

"What?" I practically shouted, appalled at what she was suggesting.

"It's alright, Zahra. They usually have that effect," she said with a dramatic sigh.

"I really wasn't," I protested, feeling the heat creeping up my neck like wildfire. "Not purposely, anyway."

Gianna arched a sculpted eyebrow. "Well, unintentional or not, it's not polite to stare."

"I know, I know," I muttered, feeling embarrassed.

"You are no better than a man," she shook her head in disappointment, crossing her arms, accentuating her ample chest.

My eyes involuntarily flickered to Gianna's chest. It was like my body was conspiring against me because now that she had pointed it out, I couldn't not notice just how big they were.

"You're doing it again," she accused.

I covered my eyes with one hand, unsure if her arm movements were intentional. "Stop weaponizing those things against me."

"What good are they if I can't?" Gianna pouted, tightening her arms.

"I wasn't looking intentionally," I promised, feeling mortified.

Gianna's voice took on a playful tone, and her laughter rang out melodiously. "Oh Zahra, you should see your face! I'm just teasing, love. My apologies," she said, her words softening with warmth and contrition.

I cautiously lowered my hand and peeked at her from between my fingers. Seeing that she had relaxed her arms back to her sides, I let out a breath of relief and the heat that had crept up my cheeks began to gradually dissipate.

"Where did you get that cookie from?" she asked, her tone accusatory as she deliberately glanced at my plate.

"Oh," I said, gesturing towards the box on the table next to me. "I brought some with me. Would you like to try one?"

Immediately, she picked up a cookie, took a bite, and held her hand under it to catch any falling crumbs. Her eyes widened with delight, and she let out a soft hum of appreciation.

"Wow," she said, nodding her head in approval. "This cookie is divine."

A flush of warmth rose from my chest. "Thank you."

As I watched her contentedly nibbling on the cookie, memories of our first encounter resurfaced. It was during that conversation that she mentioned Professor Miller. I had been wanting to ask her about that.

"I meant to ask you," I started, hesitantly. "Have you heard from Professor Miller lately? He came to the lecture late yesterday which he never does and he looks more tired by the day."