Reality Is Often Chaotic

The Prologue

It was late one Saturday night when You gathered your bags- filled with hygiene supplies, clothes, and a few stuffed animals your friends got You, including a rock star bear with a top hat, a fluffy blue monster with a big red smile, and an apple in overalls- and squeezed into your car.

You were invited to your best friend, Sadie's slumber party. Sadie was your bubbly and loud friend with a big fat dictionary of swears. She had been your friend ever since she gave You a pack of animal cookies in first grade. You hadn't seen Sadie as often since she had switched schools in 8th grade and this was the first sleepover you would have since then. Sadie had told you that she was inviting a few of her friends as well as Reese, who was your adopted cousin.

Your older adopted cousin, Reese, was a year older than you, the gayest person You knew, and had always been the mom friend. He was the kind of person who would fuss over his friends with safety and sanitation. Reese was always specifically concerned with your safety and You appreciated that Sadie invited him to look out for You. He could be a little over protective, in your opinion, but You didn't mind.

You were so anxious to arrive, that your leg wouldn't stop shaking impatiently as your car zipped and zoomed through the streets.

When You finally arrived at Sadie's house, You scooped up your bags and forced yourself out the car door. You yelled as You tripped and fell onto the driveway, bags flying everywhere.

"Ah, shit!" You wince and rub your chin which You hit rather hard. As if your fall was actually an alarm announcing your arrival- or maybe they heard You yell "Ah, shit!" in the awfully quiet neighborhood- the front door swung open and Reese ran to You.

Reese was a rather scrawny, olive skinned boy with fluffy and chaotic dark hair. His eyes were brown, resembling milk chocolate and his expression seemed to be in a constant state of worry and concern. Every step Reese took sent him flying as he bound across the front yard to You. 

"Hey! Are you ok?!" He asked, frantically scanning You for injuries. Before You could respond, he pulled You up and pushed you into the house. "Hurry hurry, sit down, I'll get band aids and neosporin and water!"

You walked out of the front hallway into Sadie's living room and scanned the room. There were too many people. And by too many people, You meant literally 13 people, 14 including Reese. They all ignored You, either chattering amongst themselves, gossiping about this and that, or their eyes were glued to their phones as they scrolled down whatever site they were on. All were too preoccupied to notice You, except a familiar round face.

"Heyyyy you!!!" Sadie chirped as she ran to You and engulfed You in a hug. Sadie had a particularly round face with the most beautiful facial features. Her skin was pale and freckled, her eyes were hazel, and her hair was dyed purple. Sadie was rather round, cute, and short, all the better to hug. She wore a pastel purple sweater with pale blue overalls.

You smiled wildly, pleased to see her. "Hey Sadie, Happy Birthday!" You began to search your pockets for the small gift you got Sadie. "I got you a little something, I'm sure it's around here somewh-" You stopped. Standing besides Sadie was a boy that you've never seen before.