9 • goodbye yellow brick road

| this boy's too young to be singing, the blues |

"Randall's missing," T-dog announced.

"Missing? How?"

"How long's he been gone?"

"What's goin' on?"

The survivors gathered around trying to piece together how the hostage could have possibly escaped.

"The cuffs are still hooked. He must've slipped 'em."

They should have been more careful, and watched over him, what if he was out there and hurting others? Or what if he was planning an attack on the farm?

"Rick! Rick!" Shane yelled, stumbling out of the woods with blood dripping down his face as he held onto his arm which was injured too.

"What happened?!"

"He's armed! He's got my gun!"

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Little bastard just snuck up on me. He clocked me in the face," Shane explained, but there was certainly something he was hiding.

"All right, Hershel, T-Dog, get everybody
back in the house. Glenn, Daryl, come with us."

🐝🐝🐝

The day started with a funeral for Dale and the entire time Bea couldn't stop looking over at Carl. There was a look in his eyes, one she knew all too well from when she caught a glimpse of herself in the mirror, and it was one of guilt. Of course he'd be upset, this is a man that looked after the boy, and one whom he had spent a lot of time with during the beginning of the outbreak. Bea just had to find out what was truly going on inside his head.

"Carl, what's going on in that head of yours?" Bea gently asked him as the rest of the group dispersed, the boy having kept a distance from his parents.

"It's all my fault, Bea," he said dejectedly.

"Dale? How?"

"That walker that got him. I saw him in the woods, I, was just messing around. Threw some rocks at it. I was gonna kill it, but I didn't, and now Dale's dead," he looked down at the ground upset.

"Oh Carl," Bea shook her head, bringing him into a hug.
"It was completely out of your control, you weren't to know, okay?"

Carl didn't respond, pulling out of the hug.

"Carl."

"Okay," he nodded, wiping his tears.

"Come on now, I'm sure your mom wants to speak to you, she seems worried," Bea gestured to Lori who was watching over her son, the woman sending a small smile over to Bea when she noticed her look over.

"I just want to be on my own," Carl kept walking, but Bea was glad she had gotten in his head to figure out what was going on.

She understood completely, the guilt, the wishes of hindsight even though things were extremely unpredictable these days.

"My boy okay?" a southern voice drawled out from behind her, Bea turning to see Rick with his hands on his hips.

"I think so, he's just finding it all too much I think," Bea informed him.

"And are you?"

"Pardon?"

"Are you okay too?" Rick checked in on the girl, yes, she was older than his son, but she was still a kid too, he felt like she was trying to grow up too quickly and hide behind a mask.