Chapter 35 - Breakpoint

Start from the beginning

"There is a time and place for everything. All this squabbling should be set aside for now. No matter what strategy we go with, we need to start this event soon and not incur any needless penalties."

Hashimoto raised his hands in the air as if signaling defeat. "Fine. But once we lose again, that's all on you."

Finally, the Class A and D coalition picked up the rope. Evenly separating ourselves via height.

On the other side, you could tell Class B and C were showing no signs of cooperating. As they had only separated themselves by class.

With the sound of a whistle, the match had begun.

At first, the rope was tight, with no give on either side. It seemed like we would be stuck at equilibrium forever.

"Raaaaar!" Sudo roared somewhere along the line. Hoping his energy would boost his fellow teammates.

After a few more moments of fighting at equilibrium, the rope soon pulled to our side, and we took the first match, despite some struggle.

"Alright!" Yamauchi yelled in excitement. "I knew all my massive muscles would carry us to victory!"

Sudo gave Yamauchi a hard slap on the back. "You did absolutely nothing."

"Ow! C'mon, Sudo, give me some credit," Yamauchi responded while tentatively rubbing his back.

"That was a great effort, everyone," I said. "Let's keep it up, and we will win this event with a clean sweep."

As we took the rope in our hands once again, I noticed Class C, more specifically Ryuuen, reorganizing his classmates' positions along the rope.

Did he have a plan in mind? Why would he suddenly switch up his strategy during the middle of an event?

Once again, the sound of the whistle starting the match met our ears.

Except this time, the game didn't start out like the last.

Instantly the rope shot toward the Class BC side. Our side was slow to start and was on the recovery the entire match.

We gave a strong pull to try and reach equilibrium again, but Class BC was relentless in winning this match.

Unfortunately, after not too long of a fight, Class BC took this round easily.

"Dang, it!"

"How?"

"We didn't even stand a chance?!"

"That's what you get," Hashimoto responded to the mass confusion. "With Katsuragi as the lead, you're bound to fail."

"That's just one round! We can come back!" Yahiko raised his voice in support of Katsuragi.

"May I offer I suggestion," I said, raising my hand in the air to gather everyone's attention.

"What is it, Fukumoto?" Katsuragi replied rather harshly.

"Well, seeing as our last match didn't go the way we planned. I wanted to offer a new plan for everyone's consideration."

All eyes were on me as I offered up a new solution.

"It's quite a simple fix, actually. It only requires a couple of changes. Firstly, we shouldn't be lumping the weaker members together. Spread them out so they are almost always accompanied by a person of greater strength. Secondly, we place the person with the highest strength and quickest reflexes in the front. This offers us a strong base point and the chances of a better start. And finally, keeping another one of the strongest people at the back. Providing everyone with a strong anchor point."