Chapter 34 - Dirty Tricks

Start from the beginning

"This will be too easy," Sudo said out loud as we waited for the game to start. "Those Class B idiots won't know what hit em."

"Calm down. We still have a cooperative relationship with them."

Sudo scoffed back at my remark. "I don't care, there's no way they'll beat us."

I internally facepalmed. It's good and all to have a strong drive and determination. And there may come a point where our cooperative relationship ends. But until that time, we should try and keep the negativity to a minimum. Sudo probably didn't understand that yet.

"It's been a while since I've done this," Miyake walked up to me.

I was slightly confused if he was speaking to me since I've rarely interacted with him, but I continued on.

"I don't remember having ever done this before."

There was a slight amount of shock behind Miyake's eyes. "You've never done this before?"

"Nope. So I'm sorry if I disappoint."

A crack of the pistol was sounded, indicating the start of the first match.

Immediately, Class D's offensive attack was led by a charging and yelling Sudo. More proactive members such as myself, Ayanokouji, Hirata, and Miyake followed quickly behind. While our other classmates gave a half-hearted effort following our advancement.

"Keep your eyes on Sudo!" Class B shouted as our advance came closer. While Sudo is definitely a focal point in our team, a feeling of envy did creep up inside me. Why wouldn't Class B be concerned about me? Considering how the festival is going any normal person would be worried about my presence.

Nonetheless, I cleared my head and followed Sudo's movements. He rammed straight into their defense. Trying to outmuscle all the bodies in his way. He was successful in moving the first few bodies out of the way, but as he continued his movements slowed down as there was more force pushing him back.

"Come on, you lazy donkeys! I'm making a path!" Sudo yelled back at us.

Almost all of Class B's defense was focused on Sudo. A few others focused on Hirata, Ayanokouji, and Miyake. But they seemed to be forgetting about me.

I lowered myself and ran into the pile of bodies behind Sudo, hoping to use him as cover. But as I went to step around Sudo, I was greeted by a pair of purple eyes.

"Yo, Fukumoto-kun. It's been a while."

I clicked my tongue in response. How did Kanzaki find me so quickly?

I took a stride to my right, hoping to shake Kanzaki off. But he kept up with me, always staying within arm's length of me.

Taking a few steps outside the pile, I went back to re-evaluate the situation.

Surprisingly, as I did so, Kanzaki was still following me. I didn't know he had such athletic skills to keep up.

"You're quite slow now, Fukumoto-kun. Did all those races tire you out?"

"I didn't think you'd be the trash-talking type of guy."

Kanzaki shrugged in response. "Just trying to throw you off. But I doubt that would work."

Without a second thought, I immediately sprinted to the opposite side of the flag from Sudo. With most of their defense holding him back, there had to be an opening somewhere.

As I rounded to the opposite side, Kanzaki met me there. My idea was correct, and there were fewer people on this side. But Kanzaki still remained in my way.