(2 : 14) Dobby's Reward { 31 }

Magsimula sa umpisa

Harry, fear spreading up his numb legs, looked at me and then at Riddle. Riddle opened his mouth wide and hissed – but I understood what he was saying.

"Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts Four." I wheeled around to look up at the statue, Fawkes swaying on my shoulder. Slytherin's gigantic stone face was moving. Horror-struck, I saw his mouth opening.

Something was slithering up from its depths. I backed away until I hit the dark Chamber wall, Harry beside me, and as I shut my eyes tight.

I knew what was happening, I could sense it, could almost see the giant serpent uncoiling itself from Slytherin's mouth. Then I heard Riddle's hissing voice:

"Kill him, but harm the one I hold dear and you shall cease to exist.."

The Basilisk was moving towards Harry but I continued to stay close to him, I began to run blindly sideways, feeling my way. Riddle was laughing ... There was a loud, explosive spitting sound right above me and then something heavy hit me and Harry so hard that we were smashed against the wall.

"Leave her!" Riddle shouted, "Do not harm her!"

Waiting for fangs to sink through my body I heard more mad hissing. I opened my eyes wide enough to squint at what was going on. The enormous serpent had raised itself high in the air and its great blunt head was weaving drunkenly between the pillars.

As I trembled, ready to close my eyes if it turned, I saw what had distracted the snake. Fawkes was soaring around its head, and the Basilisk was snapping at him.

I looked straight into its face, and saw that its eyes had been punctured by the phoenix.

"No!" I heard Riddle screaming. "Leave the girl! Leave the girl! The boy is behind you! You can still smell him! Kill him!" The blinded serpent swayed.

"Help us, help us," Harry muttered wildly, "someone, anyone!" The snake's tail whipped across the floor again. Harry ducked, pulling me down with him to safety.

Something soft hit my face. The Basilisk had swept the Sorting Hat into my arms. I seized it. It was all I had left, my only chance. I rammed it onto my head and threw myself flat onto the floor as the Basilisk's tail swung over me again.

"Help us ... help us ..." I thought, my eyes screwed tight under the Hat. "Please help us!"

Something very hard and heavy thudded onto the top of my head, almost knocking me out. I grabbed the top of the Hat to pull it off and felt something long and hard beneath it. A gleaming silver sword had appeared inside the Hat.

"Kill the boy! Leave the girl! The boy is behind you!" I was on my feet, ready, and Harry staggering up, stood close behind me. The Basilisk's head was falling, its body coiling around, hitting pillars as it twisted to face us.

It lunged blindly, it couldn't tell which was Hary and which was me. Which of us it was supposed to attack and which it was supposed to defend. This was perfect, Harry and I could work together to confuse it.

But the problem was, what if it did attack one of us, I thought. But now wasn't the time to be fearing risks.

"Harry! Confuse it!" I yelled, Harry instantly understood what I was saying and nodded in my direction. We ran in zigzags to confuse the basilisk. It worked tremendously well at the start, but it started getting angry.

Harry and I dodged a dangerous hit and it hit the Chamber wall.

"You foolish basilisk! The girl, leave the girl! Get away from her!" I raised the sword in both my hands. The Basilisk lunged again, thinking I was Harry, and this time its aim was true.