(2 : 10) The Duelling Club { 27 }

Start from the beginning

"You wish," said Harry out of the corner of his mouth. Lockhart cuffed Harry merrily on the shoulder. 

"Just do what I did, Harry!" 

"What, drop my wand?" But Lockhart wasn't listening. 

"And bow!" Harry and Malfoy barely inclined their heads, not taking their eyes off each other. "Wands at the ready!" shouted Lockhart. "When I count to three, cast your charms to disarm your opponent – only to disarm them – we don't want any accidents. One ... two ... three ..." 

Harry swung his wand over his shoulder, but Malfoy had already started on "two": 

He stumbled, but everything still seemed to be working, and wasting no more time, Harry pointed his wand straight at Malfoy and shouted, 

"Rictusempra!" A jet of silver light hit Malfoy in the stomach and he doubled up, wheezing. 

"I said disarm only!" Lockhart shouted in alarm over the heads of the battling crowd, as Malfoy sank to his knees; Harry had hit him with a Tickling Charm, and he could barely move for laughing. 

Gasping for breath, Malfoy pointed his wand at Harry's knees, choked, 

"Serpensortia!" The end of his wand exploded. I watched, aghast, as a long black snake shot out of it, fell heavily onto the floor between Malfoy and Harry and raised itself, ready to strike. There were screams as the crowd backed swiftly away, clearing the floor. 

"Don't move, Potter," said Snape lazily, "I'll get rid of it ..."  

"Allow me!" shouted Lockhart. He brandished his wand at the snake and there was a loud bang; the snake, instead of vanishing, flew ten feet into the air and fell back to the floor with a loud smack. 

Enraged, hissing furiously, it slithered straight towards Justin Finch-Fletchley and raised itself again, fangs exposed, poised to strike. Harry began mindlessly walking towards the snake 

"Leave him!" He looked up at Justin, grinning, expecting to see Justin looking relieved, or puzzled, or even grateful – but certainly not angry and scared. 

"What're you playing at?" he shouted, and before Harry could say anything, Justin had turned and stormed out of the Hall. Snape stepped forward, waved his wand and the snake vanished in a small puff of black smoke. 

Ron and I looked at each other before I went ahead and began tugging on Harry's robes. 

"Come on," said Ron's voice in his ear. "Move – come on ..." Ron and I steered him out of the Hall, Hermione hurrying alongside us. 

I didn't have a clue what was going on and neither did Harry, and neither Ron nor Hermione explained anything until we had dragged ourselves all the way up to the empty Gryffindor common room. 

Then Ron pushed Harry into an armchair and said, 

"You're a Parselmouth. Why didn't you tell us?" 

"I'm a what?" said Harry. 

"A Parselmouth!" said Ron. "You can talk to snakes!" 

"I know," said Harry. "And so can Y/n. I mean, we accidentally set a python on my cousin Dudley at the zoo once. But so what? I bet loads of people here can do it."

"Oh no they can't," said Ron. 

"It's not a very common gift. you two, this is bad." 

"What's bad?" I said, starting to feel quite angry. "What's wrong with everyone? Listen, if Harry hadn't told that snake not to attack Justin –" 

"Oh, that's what he said to it?" 

"What d'you mean? You were there ... you heard him." I said, confused.