𝐀𝐑𝐂 𝟐 ♢𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐋𝐕𝐄♢

"𝐅𝐫𝐨𝐦 𝐍𝐨𝐰 𝐎𝐧, 𝐅𝐞𝐞𝐥 𝐌𝐲 𝐕𝐢𝐛𝐞 𝐀𝐧𝐝 𝐒𝐰𝐚𝐲"

The rain soaked my uniform and hair as I walked through the deep muck, but I didn't care; I kept looking for the tiny settlement.

The community lost travelers who would have brought life and money to the town since it was believed that the hamlet had the greatest rate of possessions during the previous several years.

On the other side, the number of Gūjis had increased instantly.

The Gūjis would extort the locals of their money and utilize the village's resources to build ever more opulent temples that, in their eyes, were designed to aid the possessed. Everyone was aware that it was a falsehood, but nobody dared to challenge it or charge the Gūjis.

Even though this seems terrible on its own, I'm sure there's more to this tale than first appears.

I pounded on the wood loudly while positioned behind the enormous torii gate.

I let go as soon as I could make out the somewhat angry yells coming from a distance.

Slowly screeching to an end, the gate opened.

I could see the village, which was in utter disarray, as well as the terrible condition the residents were in, after the entry had been fully opened.

"Yet another? When will you all learn? They keep coming one after another."

As his audience nodded in accord while sporting an irate look, the man sneered.

Even though I wanted to annoy them even more, I had to maintain my composure and not allow their meaningless remarks to affect me.

I entered and approached the man, who I assumed to be one of the several Gūjis that reside here.

"Then, I'm assuming you all know why I'm here."

"You desire to assist the possessed? Huh! What a load of crap! We are the only ones who can assist them! The Gūjis! You're wasting your time; go now."

Every thing the man said was laced with assurance and confidence.

While maintaining a little grin on my lips, I inwardly rolled my eyes at what he said.

"I sympathize with your annoyance and would follow your advise to quit, but I don't want my superiors to think less of me! You understand what I mean, I'm sure~"

The Gūji alternated his attention between me and his minions, but ultimately caved and sighed.

"You may remain, but just for one week, so be it."

The guy said, motioning for one of the Mikos to approach.

The young woman approached us and lowered her head in our direction.

"Show her the place where she'll be staying."

The Miko, who was still bending her head, nodded in agreement and beckoned for me to join her.

By the time we started walking away, everyone else was urged to also leave, be it Miko, Gūji, or one of the villagers.

On the surface, everything appeared usual. The town's residents and the Gūjis were both performing their duties, yet there seems to be an odd and unsettling air around everyone.

Is a demon or an evil spirit responsible for this? Although I'm unsure right now, I do know that nobody in this town is on my side or eager to help me.