♡︎𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐄𝐋𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍♡︎

"𝐈 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐭"

"𝐈 𝐂𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐈𝐭"

♡︎

Standing beside the grave, I tightly clutched the red roses, unsure of how to process my emotions. Should tears stream down my cheeks, or should I summon feelings of pity? Is there room for happiness amidst this sorrow, or should I allow myself to sink into the familiar depths of hurt and loneliness?

I gently placed the flowers on the grave and crouched down, fixing my gaze upon it.

"I made it through the final selection, Yuki," I whispered to the silent air, my voice choked with emotion. "Remember how you used to laugh and say I wouldn't last a day out there? Well, look at me now, still alive and breathing... But you..."

I clamped my lips together, trying to stifle the rising laughter, but the urge was too strong. I bit down hard, tasting the metallic tang of blood in my mouth, but even that couldn't stop the laughter from bursting forth.

"HAHAHAHAHAHHAHA-"

Bent over with laughter, I felt my stomach ache from the intensity of it, my lungs straining as if they couldn't contain the mirth. Amidst the laughter, tears of sorrow streaked down my cheeks, a poignant contrast to the emptiness that weighed heavily in my chest. Yet, there was a strange solace in this laughter, a coping mechanism for the deep sadness within me.

The sound of laughter echoed throughout the forest, catching the attention of a pair of keen ears nearby.

With a deep breath, I wiped away the tears lingering on my cheeks and stood up, brushing off the dirt from my uniform.

"Laughing at someone's grave? Do you have no respect, human?" came a voice from behind me, startling me out of my thoughts.

I turned my gaze towards the source of the voice, finding a demon standing there. Unimpressed, I regarded it with a disinterested expression. Demons were a common sight in these parts, after all.

Upper moon three.

I turned to face the demon, scoffing at its previous remark. Clearly, it had no understanding of the complexities of human emotions.

"You of all people shouldn't talk about 'respecting the dead,' demon," I retorted, my voice tinged with disdain.

The demon hummed and leaned forward, his gaze piercing into the depths of my soul.

"Hmm... Most would have run away or trembled in fear at the sight of me. Tell me, human, are you a demon slayer?"

Without breaking eye contact, I replied firmly.

"I don't owe you any answers, demon. I'm not running away, and I'm not looking for a fight with you. Find someone else to prey on," I declared, my voice filled with quiet menace.

He remained silent, his gaze fixed on me. Refusing to yield, I returned his stare with an unwavering glare, never once breaking eye contact.

Finally, after what felt like an endless standoff, he retreated, a smirk playing on his lips.

"I like you human! What's your name?"

"None of your business number three"

"It's not number three it's Akaza! Remember that!"

I rolled my eyes and started to walk away, but my steps halted abruptly when Akaza placed his hand on my shoulder. With a swift motion, I turned around and brushed his hand off me, refusing his touch.

"Dont touch me, demon..."

"Fight me human."

We both remained silent, tension hanging thickly in the air between us. My eyes narrowed into a glare as I stared him down.

"No," I responded curtly, my annoyance evident in my tone as I turned away and departed.

As I walked away, the sound of Akaza's voice reverberated through the night, echoing in the darkness around me.

"Little lamb, you can't escape. You can't run away from your destiny," Akaza's voice echoed ominously behind me.

Irritated by the demon's ominous words, I muttered under my breath, "Tsk. Irritating demon..."

As I walked, the little dove landed on my shoulder. I glanced at it, and the bird gestured in a certain direction, prompting me to follow.

"Oh? I have a mission already? Shouldn't I wait for my Katana?"

It shook its head.

"I do have my polearm so I should be fine.... Okay, lead the way."

Guided by the dove's silent instructions, I ventured deeper into the night, each step leading me closer to my next challenge.