Prologue

Ivy wanted to close her eyes as she ran. She wanted to close them so that she could open them again and find herself anywhere but here. That wouldn't be a good idea, though, seeing as how she was surrounded by trees, and the ground beneath her was covered in their protruding roots. She could try clicking her heels together and wishing for home. Well, if she hadn't needed them to run at this moment.

Ivy gasped and picked up speed as a bullet shattered a branch over her head. This had to be a dream, right? This stuff didn't really happen outside of the romance novels she read. She couldn't stop the shudder that threatened to overtake her as a memory that proved this wasn't a dream push to the front of her brain. The memory of the body of her friend being loaded into a van, dangling lifelessly in the arms of a man the size of a gorilla. The same man who was now chasing her through the woods and had just proven himself to be armed.

If only she had kept her mouth shut, maybe he wouldn't have known she was there. When had she ever been known to do that, though? Her opinionated mouth had gotten her into trouble more than once in her life. Why should tonight be any different?

The sun sank further as Ivy fled and her panic increased. Her legs and lungs both began to burn with exhaustion. How long had she been running? As the thought crossed her mind, her foot caught on a root hidden amongst the leaves and she felt her ankle give beneath her with a painful twist. Unable to right herself in time, she felt herself fall backwards, tumbling down into the ravine below.

High Stakes Hideoutजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें