"Yes, sir." And with that, he's out the door and hopefully, out of my life.

For real this time.

Turning back to my mother, he smiles slightly. "So, where were we?"

"Oh my god, Philip. You are getting on my last fucking nerves." Mom's voice is filled with edge and I know she's going to burst any second now.

"Do I look like I care, Caroline?" Dad shrugged, riling Mom even more.

"Listen to me, Philip..." She starts but is cut off by Dad.

"No, Caroline. Today, you're gonna listen to me. What I did was a horrible thing and both of us have been paying for my mistake ever since, but it's not fair of you to dump all that on Iris. She doesn't deserve a selfish mother like you who only calls her when she wants something or a cowardly father like me who stood behind his mistake for the longest time and refused to take a stand for her. She's doing better than she ever has, and I'm not going to let you ruin it for her. She took a stand for you by cutting off ties with me and even then, you abandoned her. So, neither of us has any right to barge into her life and make choices for her."

For the smallest second, Mom's eyes widen and a shocked look takes over her features before she composes herself.

Breathing deeply, she slowly says, "Philip, she's my daughter."

"Yes, she is. And she was also your daughter when you didn't call her on her birthday or when you made her go to her college alone or when you forced her to get back together with the dumbass of the century."

"You have no idea what you're saying." She looks at him with narrowed.

"Maybe I don't, but I'm pretty sure she does." He tilts his head towards me. "Don't you, Iris? Don't you want your mother to stay away from your life and let you breathe?"

My eyes jump from my father to my mother, both of whom have made their own share of mistakes, but one of them caused a lot more hurt than the other. One of them took every chance to repair our relationship, while the other only cared about their needs and wants.

Taking a deep breath, I look at my mom, meeting her stare as she waits for me to tell her that Dad is wrong, "Yeah, I think it's better if you stay away from my life, Mom."

She stares at me dumbfounded before her features tighten. "There you go, being selfish all over again."

"Yes Mom, maybe I'm being selfish but for once, I'm completely okay with that. I did a lot of things to please you, but that just never happens. So, I want my happiness now."

My dad looks between the two of us as Mom and I stare at each other for a long period, "While we are talking about happiness, maybe it's time you and I get a divorce, Caroline."

Her head jerks towards my dad with a speed that gives me a whiplash. As his words register in her head, I see true fear flash in her eyes. "Divorce? Are you kidding me? Are you deliberately trying to burn my reputation today, Philip? What will I say to everyone? They think we're happy. Why are we getting a divorce?" She rambles on.

Dad simply shrugs. "What did you think, Caroline? That we'll go forever with this ruse? A divorce is the ultimate step in our situation. You should've thought about that."

Sighing out heavily, I see my mother's ego snap back into its place. She isn't going to beg my dad to not take a divorce. "If you want a divorce, then you'll get a divorce. I'm not going to fall over my knees and beg you to protect my reputation."

"Perfect. 'Cause I'm counting on it."

With a last glare towards the both of us, she turns around and leaves us standing on the balcony, alone.