Chapter-48|Welcome To New York

Have you ever been stabbed repeatedly? Well, neither have I, but currently, sitting on a flight back home, I can't help but feel like someone is jabbing a knife in my chest with each breath I take

Maybe it's anxiety, maybe it's my mom. I'll never know.

"Calm down," Ethan placed a hand on my bouncing knee, bringing it to a stop, "You're gonna be fine."

I turned my face to look at him with narrowed eyes. "It's not me that I'm worried about."

Laughing slightly, he says, "You have absolutely nothing to worry about with me."

I widen my eye in disbelief. How can this guy be so chill?

"You don't know my mother," my voice raises subconsciously, but when Ethan's eyes widen hilariously, I cringe and instead whisper, "You don't know my mother."

"Her daughter is the most amazing woman I know, so I'm sure she can't possibly be that bad."

I can't decide if I wanna kiss him or strangle him for being so delusional.

Biting my lip to stop the smile threatening to break out, I conjure up enough calm to tell him, "While I appreciate the compliment, you're in a for a surprise, Knight."

No matter what I say, this guy is just not ready to let up, "Well, it's a good thing I like surprises."

Truth be told, my mother is going to be one of those surprises that Ethan remembers for the rest of his life, but for all the wrong reasons.

Luckily for both of us, she didn't bother to pick us up from the airport. Instead, she sent a driver who was nothing but extremely respectful, and that did nothing to soothe my nerves. As the driver turns into the gated streets I grew up in, I can't help looking at Ethan. I expect to see a horrified expression, but all I find is curiosity.

Feeling my eyes on him, he turns his head towards me and I can see the curious emotion dissolve from his eyes before a look of pure fondness takes over.

"What?" He asks me softly when he notices me staring at him.

"Are you judging me?"

His brows furrow, but the softness on his face remains, "Judging you for what?"

While Ethan's parents are rich as fuck, they preferred to move back to a simpler and more comfortable life in North Carolina once his dad retired, whereas my parents chose to live in the storm's eye.

"You know," I gesture to the view outside the window, "all this grand pretentiousness."

Silently, he watches me for a few seconds before leaning over and unbuckling my seat belt. He grabs me by my arm softly and pulls me over to his side. When I'm firmly tucked under his arm, he places a kiss on my head, before leaning down to whisper in my ear, "I would never judge you. Not even when you spend all night watching that stupid medical drama where doctors fuck in every corner of the hospital."