Chapter Nineteen: The Viney Village

Forest smiled as Chattering could be heard from up further on the path. After another few minutes, we finally made it to the entrance to the village. Children and locals chattered and laughed around and inside of the village walls.

Two guards, one having Wolf Features and the Other having Lizard Scales, stood in front of the Villages Entrance. "Gentlemen." Forest said to them both, slipping past them and into the Village.

They glair at all of us as we enter the village. The large village was filled with houses in the trees, shops, bridges, a large bond fire in the center, and of course, vines were presented to us. "Well, welcome to the Viney Village of Kongza!" Forest chirped, skipping her way around the bond fire and to a large ladder made of rope.

"Follow me!" She exclaims to us, starting to climb up the ladder. We all walk past the bond fire and to the ladder. While we walked, I noticed a man wearing a black cloak over his head and having a fox mask on sits alone at the bond fire. I get chills as I start to climb up the ladder.

Forest leads all of us to three separate huts and leaves us there. I sit down on a small bed that sits on the floor and looks around. "Isn't this place amazing slime?!" Fire Fox exclaims, looking around at everything in the hut. In the hut are four beds, two windows, and a small wooden door, nothing too special.

"Yea, it is.." I smiled at fire Fox, standing up and leaving the hut. I start to walk in the direction of the ladder and climb down it, to the bond fire, being cold from the wind. I notice that every other seat is token except for a spot near the man with the black cloak. I sigh and sit next to him, closing my eyes and lowering my head.

I suddenly feel a hand placed on my shoulder and a knife to my hand. I open my eyes and see the man holding the knife to my hand, like he's going to stab through it. "Don't panic." He groans as if he's dead. My heart races as I feel the knife press into my hand.

One thing I noticed about him is that the knife looks like the same knife from the tavern. I breathe shakily as the sun starts to set over the trees. "Just act natural." He says once aging as the fire shines off of the knife. I feel his hand on my shoulder suddenly let go.

'God dammit, what do I do?!?" I think to myself, looking around at anything that could help; but with bad luck, nothing could help me. "I remember you, from the tavern." He whispers to me, getting closer, his Fox mask almost touching me.

"What tavern..?" I groan, scared to move away from him. "Oh, don't act stupid, Ashans Tavern." He said in a honeyed tone that sends chills down my spine. He looks down at the hand with the knife on it and grabs it. I try to tug away as he flips my hand and shows my wrist, sliding the knife on it.

He presses the knife into my skin as I groan softly. I try to pull away aging as walking is heard from Behind us. Fire foxes foot steps approach from Behind "Hey Slime, who's your frie-" She stops in her words, noticing the knife on my wrist.

The energy from her turns angry as she sets her hand on my shoulder. "You take that damn knife off of her wrist." She yaps at him, trying not to drag attention to us. He slowly removes the knife from my wrist and walks away, leaving an errie energy behind.

"Who the hell was that.." Fire Fox asks me, looking back at me, slowly. I look back at her. "I don't know..." I answer her, worried about him harming me or my friends in our sleep. Forest walks towards the bond fire, holding sticks and logs.

Me and Fire Fox both look at her. "Hey you two, since the sun's going down, I'm getting the fire ready to cook dinner!" She exclaims, tossing in the sticks and logs in bundles in hand. I nod and turn back to Fire Fox. "Sounds good.." I sigh, looking at Fire Fox, being worked up from that man.

Fire Fox leans in closer to me. "I can tell you are lying, Let's go back to the hut and talk there." She whispers at me, grabbing my hand and leading me to the ladder.

I follow her to the ladder and up it. We walk to the hut, her making sure I'm behind her the whole way there. She opens the small door and closes it, it cracking open. I sit down on the bed and cuff my face into my hands. "Who was that man..?" Fire Fox asks me, clearly worried about me.

I look up at her, tears streaming down my face. "I... Don't know..." I moaned, looking back at the ground. The door flies open, and Forest steps in. "Dinners almost ready!" She exclaims, looking back and forth at me and Fire Fox. "Alright, thank you, forest." Fire Fox smiles at her, as Forest leaves the hut.

Fire Fox looks back at me with a blank expression on her face. "Want me to go get you food?" She asked me, a small smile growing on her face. I smile and wipe away my tears, nodding yes. "Alright, I'll go get some for us.." She said, standing up and walking out of the hut.

I sigh and fall back on the bed, closing my eyes.

After ten minutes, Fire Fox returns to the hut with two bowls of stir fry in either hand. I open my eyes and sit up. "Here, let's try to forget what happened earlier.." She said to me, sitting next to me. I look at her and smile, grabbing the wooden bowl from her hand.

I stare at the bowl and grab the small wooden spoon that sits just to the side of the food. I scooped some up and ate it as Chattering fills the silence outside the hut. Fire Fox looks up at me and rests her hand on my knee. I look up from the food at her.

"It's fine. If anything happens, I'm here for you." She says Calmly, squeezing my knee and letting go, eating her food. I smile softly and continue eating the Stir Fry. After twenty minutes, we both finished our food, and the sun had fully gone down.

A candle light fills the dark hut as I lay on my bed, alone in the hut, Fire Fox had left with Star Bun to the Bond Fire. I sigh and sit up, looking around. The moon light shines through the small window that sits above me. Rustling comes from outside the wall.

I stand up and look outside, not seeing anything. A dark figure catches my attention from down below. I notice that the figure is talking to something, but I can't see it. I climb up into the window to try to get a better look at this dark figure.

The speaking is very faint, but the few words I could make out were fire, death, slime, and trap. I gasp softly at my name being mentioned in this person's conversation. I jump back into the hut, my heart racing and hands sweating.

After a few hours, I was able to finally fall asleep but I suddenly woke up in a panic.