Chapter Four

Between Mountains - Chapter Four:

WHAT was that?

I couldn't see anything that could give me a clue. Sniffing the air, I could immediately recognize the faint smell of a wet animal. I let out a warning growl as the hair stood up on my back.

Can’t I just be left alone?

Then as to answer me, a bunny hopped out innocently, the little ball of white fur moving towards me. Sniffing the air around this bunny I became more at ease.

All of a sudden I was thrown into the air as something solid abruptly pushed against me. I jumped up on all fours, fright clenching my heart. A few feet away from me stood wolves. Three wolves to be more precise, and I could tell by the smell of them that they were rogues.

Great.

I must have stepped into their territory. The thing with a rogue’s territory is that you can't tell when you've entered it, you can only tell when you come face to face with an angry pack. So really, in the end, this wasn't my fault, but by the looks of them, they didn't share the same point of view.

The look in their eyes wasn't pleasant,  no humanity present. They looked like starved animals. Monsters in need of destruction.

I bowed my head in submission so that they could see that I meant no harm. Maybe if I was lucky, they would leave me alone. Luck was never on my side as the leader between them charged, towards me. My stomach twisted at the turn of events as I tried to back away in my wolf-form.

I was trapped between rocks at the edge of a mountain. There was nowhere to go.

The leader of the rogues sunk his teeth into my collarbone, ripping me towards the others. My eyes was wet and watery as the new sore stung like fire.

Another stinging pain erupted on my leg. As I turned around, I could see one of the other rogues had their teeth sunk into the flesh of my right leg. I let out a horrifyingly-painful yelp. The third looked around my wolf's body, looking for a juicy place he could sink his canines into. Savages.

A deep howl in the distance drew in their attention. I took that as my opportunity to jump up and run away, as fast as I could, deeper into the mountains. The were quick behind me, not letting me go quite so easily.

I could feel the barrier when I entered another pack’s territory, their land. I would probably be killed on sight just because of that. But I didn't have a choice, the wolves chasing me were catching up. I turned around to see if they followed me, but all three of them stood at the barrier. By the growls they swung towards me, I could tell that they were not too happy with my actions.

Turning around, I walked deeper into the territory. I walked with my right leg lifted in the air while the still fresh blood dripped off, decorating the white snow with some color. Blood wasn't a nice smell, it smelt like salt and ash.

I couldn't imagine what this pack would do to me. How they'll react. I would rather be killed by an unknown pack, than by rogues. Even though I was one of them now. One that carried that title.

It was nerve racking, my heart still jumped around in my chest due to the events that played out. I was beyond tired, drained of all my energy. I wouldn't be surprised if I passed out.

I kept moving until I felt completely safe away from the rogues. I laid down onto the snow, resting my head on one of my paws.

Waiting for the outcome.