Skye and Champagne Problems

"What do you think she's telling Avery?" Jameson said pacing.

"Probably inquiring her about her relations, oh and asking for money."

"You're probably right." He sat down next to me. 

"Where's your shirt?" I asked him only know realizing he was shirtless.

"Didn't feel like wearing it." 

"You got bourbon on it didn't you."

"Correct." I just sighed before looking at the door.

Avery's Pov

"What are your intentions towards my son?" 

"Excuse me?" I turned to face her before I remembered, a second too late, why I'd been trying not to look at her the entire time I'd been in the room.

"You waltzed into my suite with my shirtless, grieving son by your side. A mother has concerns, and Jameson is special. Brilliant the way my father was. The way Toby was."

"Your brother," I said "What happened to him?"

"What are your intentions with my son first." she said.

"I have no intentions with any Hawthorne passed finding out why I was left this sum of money. Now Toby."

"My father ruined Toby." Skye started. "Spoiled him. He was always meant to be the heir, you know. And once he was gone... well, it was Zara and me." Her expression darkened, but then she smiled. "And then. . . "

"You had the boys," I filled in. I wondered, then, if she'd had them because Toby was gone.

"Do you know why Jameson was Daddy's favorite when, by all rights, it should have been perfect, dutiful Grayson?" Grayson. He was the heir apparent, before me. I couldn't stop my mind from thinking about him and the night he told me about Emily. The only time I ever saw him with any genuine emotion. "It wasn't because my Jamie is brilliant or beautiful or charismatic. It was because Jameson Winchester Hawthorne is hungry. He's looking for something. He's been looking for it since the day he was born." She downed the rest of the champagne in one gulp. "Grayson is everything Toby wasn't, and Jameson is just like him."

"We used to lose him when he was little, you know. For hours, occasionally for a day. We'd look away for a second, and he'd disappear into the walls. And every time we found him; he had the reminisce of a smile on his face. Every time he was back, he was already looking for another way to get lost. Not until years later did, we all find out why. That was when Catalina started living with us. They get lost together now; never saw why he liked her so much he was never one for sticking to one person long enough."

"Emily?" I said out loud.

"She was a beautiful girl," Skye mused, "but she could have been ugly, and they would have loved her just the same. There was just something about her. But still all the same Jameson left after finding Catalina. He disappeared every day only to come back for the night sometimes not even that. The only one who seemed to know the truth was Daddy."

"Why are you telling me all of this?" I asked.

"You," Skye Hawthorne stated emphatically, "are no Emily. You aren't like Catalina. You aren't either of them. So, I warn you about getting too close." She bent to pick up the champagne bottle and refilled her glass. She padded toward me, barefoot and dripping, and held it out. 

"I've found bubbles to be a bit of a cure-all myself." Her stare was intense. "Go on. Drink."

Was she serious? 

I took a step back. "I don't like champagne." 

"And I," Skye took a long drink. "didn't choose my sons' middle names."

"If you didn't choose them," I started, "then who did?"

"My father."

The Inheritances Game (Jameson Hawthorne)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें