32 | The Breakdown

Start from the beginning

The first thing I noticed was.. the silence. No one was in any space I passed through. No running around. Something felt.. off.

I ignored the weird feeling, as Ross and I made our way into the living room.

"Hello" I spoke up, noticing Stormie and Mer. Stormie sitting on the armchair, sewing something, as Mer sat in the couch.

"You guys are back" Stormie spoke up, leaving her work and getting to her feet immediately.

Her smile looked uncomfortable, as Mer stayed silent, hunched over on the couch. I couldn't really see her face.

"Yeah" Ross nodded, standing behind me.

I turned around to look at him for answers, but it seemed like he didn't have them either. He seemed to analyze his mom's face with his eyes.

A few seconds of silence between them was enough to make me uncomfortable as hell. I just wanted to leave.

Before I could even move, Ross spoke up "Where's Maya's bed?"

I froze, noticing his eyes weren't on his mom, but rather looking behind her.

Stormie pressed her lips, as her face softened. A glimpse of tears in her eyes.

My heart jumped.

I looked back between her expression and Ross' blank look, that turned into realization.

His eyes flicked down to me, before he looked back at his mom "Mom, where's her bed?"

"I'm sorry baby" her voice cracked, as her tears started flowing "We spent all day at the vet. She couldn't- she didn't-"

He let out a breath at that, before turning around.

"Ross?" Stormie questioned "Where are you goi-"

The door of the house slammed shut, as I let out a shaky breath.

I was worried for him. Worried about where he might take off.

My first instinct was to follow, but as I looked back at a teary eyed mom, I couldn't just run.

"It'll be okay" I nodded, pressing my lips a little, as I gave her a hug.

She accepted the hug, squeezing me tight.

"I know it will" she sniffled, as we parted "I'm just worried for him"

She practically worded my thoughts.

"He'll be okay. He's an adult" Mer spoke up, lifiting herself off the couch "Telling my kids will be a little more complicated"

Her eyes looked sad too, as she started at me.

"You'll find the words Mer" I nodded "You always do"

She sighed, before hugging me as well "Thanks"

"The kids are young" Stormie spoke up "Almost as young as you and Ross when we got Maya. I remember you being scared of her, but for Ross it was an immediate connection"