033|

"Turn around!" Max and Lucas sat opposite Dustin and Riley singing at the top of their voice. Apparently, while Riley, El, Max and Mike were still stuck in the mall, Dustin had been trying to get in contact with one of his camp friends who would know Planck's constant.

While being away at camp, Suzie had spent half the time helping Dustin to realise that maybe he did like Riley in a way which was more than a friend. She'd helped him think of ways which he could tell Riley his feelings, one of those being through song.

Before Suzie eventually told Dustin the numbers of Planck's constant she had made him sing the song into his supercomm, which was still connected with everyone elses. Which was what led to Riley trying to keep her laughter hidden while she sat next to the Henderson boy who was glaring at the couple opposite them.

"Look at what you see, in her face, the mirror of your dreams, rhymes that keep their secrets, will unfold behind the clouds," Max stopped for a second looking towards Dustin, "Wait, did we get that verse right? It's 'unfold behind the clouds'?"

"Yeah," Dustin nodded annoyed, "But you're butchering it, so could you please stop?"

"So then join in, Dusty." Lucas smirked blowing kissed towards the boy.

"Yeah, come on, Dusty, why don'y you join us?"

"You guys are so funny, you should be on Carson."

"Can't we just hear your rendition?" Max pleaded

"No."

"Please? Just one verse?"

"No!" Dustin exclaimed, "No way. It's reserved for Riley's ears and Riley's ears alone."

Max and Lucas paused their teasing for a second turning to look at each other before bursting back into song. Riley laughed, "I think it's sweet, Dusty." She paused noticing Will stood in the other room looking lost, "I'll be back in a second."

"Wait, no, don't leave me with them." Dustin called after her.

Riley sighed standing in the doorway biting the inside of her cheek deciding on what to say, "Hey, Will. If i'm gonna let you move all the way to California, you better not forget about me."

"Your kidding Riley, I don't think I could ever forget about you." Will smiled moving around the room so he was stood closer to the girl.

"You better not. But just in case," She reached into her pocket pulling out a photograph. It had been taken by Lucas at one of the many sleepovers at the Wheeler house. Mike had been the first to fall asleep and so Riley had convinced Will to help her draw all over his face. 

Dustin and Lucas had insisted on taking a photo of the three to make sure they would never forget it. Lets just say, Mike was not at all pleased with their 'artwork' as the two had called it, and spent the whole morning trying his best to ignore them.

Will smiled fondly at the memory, "I'll put it right by my mirror, that way i'll never forget it."

"Good. And you better not find another cool girl friend to replace me over in California."

"Don't worry Riley," Will laughed pulling the shorter girl into a hug, "Your still the coolest girl I know."

"Even over Max." Riley whispered looking up at him.

"Definitely."

Riley smiled hugging the boy even tighter, "I'm gonna miss you, Byers."

Riley stood out the front of the house, waiting not so patiently for Mike to stop hugging El. And after about five minutes he finely let go, and Riley didn't waste a second pulling the girl into a hug. El laughed hugging her back, both girls trying to stop the tears from falling.

El had been Riley's first proper girl friend, and Riley had been El's. Even though they'd both been apart over the past few years, they'd always made their way back to each other in the end, but knowing that El was no longer to be around, it felt wrong.

"I'm sorry I have to break my promise," El broke the silence, Riley looked up at her confused, "Last year, I promised to never leave you alone with those 'idiots'." El quoted.

Riley sighed leaning back pretending to be deep in thought, "I guess I could let you off this once, if you promise to write to me every week and tell me everything about California."

"I promise."

They both turned as Joyce's voice cut through the group, "Time to go."

Will appeared besides the two girls quickly pulling them into a tight hug, "Bye, Riley."

Riley smiled moving back to stand besides Dustin, who smiled down at her, slinging his arm over her shoulder. Riley slowly reached up, grabbing his hat of his head, placing it on her own, just like she had so many times before.

The car engine started, and that was it. They all watched as the moving truck and Byers car slowly disappeared into the distance. Riley's smile slowly faded, they were gone. Will, who had been her best friend since they were little, and El, who had come suddenly into her life and changed it forever.

Dustin glanced down at the Harrington girl, squeezing her shoulder reassuringly, "Come on, let's go back to mine. I got chocolate chip ice cream, just waiting to be eaten."