18

tate/mitchel pov:

tate:

so many butterflies escape from their cage in my stomach. my heart is pumping out of my chest, desperate to jump onto him and absorb into him.
he looks outstanding with his few braids that sit in the front of his face and the rest of his hair in a bun, his jacket and jeans, the way he towers over me.

he has a big sincere smile on his face. he sets the bag he was holding down. he brings me into his arms and nostalgia hits me hard. "it's so good to see you again tate. i'm glad you're back."

his words sink in. i almost kiss him because i was so used to it.

"thank you. it's nice to see you too."

"shit, kras went all out." he looks around with the same expression on his face like i had earlier.

i can't help but stare at him. how could i not? i was so used to our life together, now we are... i actually don't know what we are. friends?

"oh here these are for you." he picks the bag that he set down back up and hands it to me.

"you didn't have to get me anything."

"i wanted too. it's nothing special though, sorry."

he wanted to get me something. tate stop being so dramatic. who wouldn't give someone a welcome back present after being in a coma? i need to stop.

i open the bag and see a card, flowers, and candy.

"thank you." we lock eyes and i can't look away. neither can he since his ocean eyes are still on mine. my stomach starts to twist as i think about leaning in and...

kras runs over to us and we both snap out of it.

"mitch! i didn't know you were coming." they aggressively hug each other. "where clinton?"

"ah, he couldn't make it. he got caught up with a bunch of stuff."

wait. kras didn't invite mitchel here? did he come by choice?

"yeah, after you told me tate woke up from her coma, i thought i'd come visit and hang out with you guys." mitchel looks over at me and smiles.

i feel my face turn beet red. so he did come here by choice to visit me. i feel more butterflies escape their cage.

"thanks man. we are going to have the best time guys. come in here." kras brings mitchel and i in for a group hug.

"tonight we celebrate for tate." mitchel says.

"thank you guys." i smile.

mitchel's pov:

i can't stop staring at tate. she looks amazing, her shiny brown hair that falls perfectly on her shoulders, her golden dewy skin, her green eyes, that one beauty mark that sits on her cheek. she's been in a coma for four years but looks like she only took a four hour nap. she looks even more beautiful from the last time i saw her.

i've always had a thing for her, but i've always been to much of a pussy to say anything, then it was too late. i got the call and i didn't know if i was ever going to see her again.

i wonder if i had told her how i felt earlier, she would've never been in a coma. maybe she would've been at my house and not that fucker foster's house.

i've never liked foster and i made sure he knew that. he was always dick to everyone, even his friends like tate and kras. i don't know how they put up with his ass for so long.

you have got to be shitting me. speak of the fucking devil.

"tate!" he runs over to our table.

"oh my gosh foster!" she runs out of the booth and into his arms.

i cringe at the sight.

"you invited him?" i say in a low annoying tone to kras. i stare at them as they chat.

"yeah, he is our friend and all, and they were close. thought they might both want to see each other."

i roll my eyes. i pick at my food since i lost my appetite.

they come back over to the table. he greets kras and they have a quick chat. i don't care to listen.

"hey mitch."

i cringe even harder at the fact that he just called me "mitch". only my close friends call me that and he definitely wasn't one of them.

i give him a nod but don't say anything. he scotches next to tate leaving me barley even sitting on the edge.

i sit in silence as they laugh at foster's horrible jokes. why are they still in contact with him? his brother is the reason why tate was in a god damn coma for four years, and foster didn't do shit about it.

we finally get the bill. "dinners on me guys." i say taking out my credit card.

"no it's okay man i got it." foster pulls out his credit card.

no way am i going to let him pay for tate and us.

"really it's fine, i got it." i put my credit card into the folder then quickly give it to the waitress. kras gives me a look saying "really?" i didn't care though.

"thank you for dinner mitchel." tate's eyes glimmered in the light.

"my pleasure."

we leave the restaurant and foster just can't keep off of tate. it's like he's glued to her.

i will admit it, i'm jealous, but this was supposed to be our night together that didn't involve a wild animal. i should've called animal control.

kras, tate, and foster are all chatting in the front of the restaurant. i walk over to the car and pull out my pack of smokes. i pull a cigarette out then light it as i lean against the car watching them all laugh together. i'd rather not join in on their laughing fest.

i see kras and tate walking back to the car. i take one last inhale then throw the cigarette on the ground. i get into the drivers seat and start the car waiting for them to get it.

"what the fuck was that about mitch?" kras sounds annoyed but not mad.

"what was what about?"

"you know exactly what. would it kill you to be nice to foster for once?"

"yes, it would actually."

"wait, what's wrong with foster?" tate asks confused.

"what's not wrong with him." i let out a cold laugh. "tate, his brother is the reason why you were in a coma and foster didn't even give a shit."

she stays silent.

"mitch, just stop." kras demands.

i don't want this to escalate any further, so i listen to kras for once and shut up.

we arrive back to the rental house after a short but long car ride of painful awkwardness.

kras gets out quickly and goes into the house leaving tate and i behind.

before she opens the door, i grab her arm. she turns and looks at me. i can see a shiver run throughout her body.

"i'm sorry for ruining the night. i wanted to apologize for what happened in the car. i didn't mean what i said like how i said it. if you want to be friends with him that's totally cool, i just have my own opinions on him."

her lips curve into a small smile. "it's alright mitchel, i get where you were coming from. i'm reconsidering my choice of being friends with him."

"don't do it because i threw a hissy fit in the car."

"don't worry, i'm doing it for me." she lets out a yawn. "i should be getting to bed."

i nod. "goodnight tate."

"goodnight mitchel."

"and mitchel." she turns back around. "you didn't ruin the night."