"Do y'all need some help? I don't open today, so I can help where needed," she offered.

"If you wouldn't mind beginning to make some of the cookie dough, that'd be nice," your father answered as he changed the clam water, "the instructions are on the counter behind Y/N."

You watched as your friend went to the counter, and began preparing the dough. It was nice to have someone so close by who was always willing to help.

"Austin got a new set of books in that I'll have to appraise and price later," she mused as she stifled a yawn, "might be some Scott Cunningham's or Arin Murphy-Hiscock's..."

"You are a Cunningham fan, aren't you?" you asked, glancing to her from the corner of your eye as you wiped off excess fat from your knife, "avid collector."

"Yep! I am! I have almost all of them, I think."

The two of you continued to chat idly before Calico left to go to work. The restaurant had just opened its doors for the lunch hour, and you knew you'd have to go onto waitstaff duty.

"Can I be on host? Molly called out," you said to your father as he pored over the schedules, "pretty please-"

"No, Y/N, I need you on the floor," he said apologetically, "sorry."

You groaned internally as you tied your H/C hair back, looking at yourself in the mirror. You didn't want to deal with people today. You'd rather go hang out with Calico next door, enjoying the sweet smell of whatever herbal concoction she has to make that day. Anything sounded better and more fun than dealing with annoying, entitled customers.

"I know it isn't what you want to do," your dad said softly as he helped you tie your apron, "but I'll try and get you on the host stand later."

You looked at yourself one more time in the mirror, "I know. Thank you, dad."

Once your father finished giving you your little pep-talk, you took your little server-book and tray, and headed out to the floor. You were given section eight, a smaller section of just tables that could seat up to four. You appreciated your dad giving you this section; as it was smaller and much more manageable.

"Y/N, table 18 got seated," the current host, Leo, said through your earpiece, "three dudes."

"On it," you answered, making your way to the table. Cue your customer service voice.

"Welcome in, thank you for choosing Reverie for lunch! My name is Y/N, and today's chef's choice fish is the flounder. Could I get y'all started with something to drink?"

The three men were all brunets, which made you internally wince. You'd have to figure out a better system than just hair color... Glasses? Nope, two had glasses. Whatever. You'll figure it out.

The man on the right spoke first, "I'll just do a water. Nothing fancy, just ice water."

You noted that down, looking to the man next to him, who just also said ice water. Easy. The last one also said ice water. 

"No lemon or anything?" you asked, wanting to double check, "I know none of you said lemon, but I want to be safe."

"Yeah, no lemon," the man with the chops answered lightly, "thank you for asking. I'm sure some tourists get very... uppity about that stuff."

"You have no idea," you answered with a wry grin, "I'll get that out for ya in a second."

As you filled the waters, you tried to think of how to memorize who got what. It helped that they all got the same drink, but how about for food? You didn't know.

"Here y'all go, three ice waters," you set the drinks down, "ready to order?"

The tallest spoke first, "I'll give your flounder a shot. Isn't that what the Outer Banks is known for, anyway?"

"Yes, flounder and tuna," you smiled as you clicked your F/C pen to open, writing the order, "would you like any lump crab or clams on that? It'll add a surcharge."

"No, thank you."

"Alright, and you'll get a side with it."

"Hush puppies, please?"

You finished writing his order, and got the other two orders. The shortest one with glasses also got what his friend got, and the one with the chops (whom you found to be oddly funny) got the soft-shell crab sandwich.

"Current market price for a soft-shell crab is $25 per pound, is that alright with you?" 

"That's alright, thank you."

You offered a smile to your table, "so I have two of the flounder and one of the soft-shell sandwiches, all with hush puppies. Would you prefer the puppies just in one basket? It'd be all of the servings, but just easier on the dishwashers."

"That's fine, right?" the second man questioned the table, getting affirming nods, "that'll work with us. Thanks, Y/N!"

Luckily, your father was quick with getting people in and out. It was peak tourist season! Gotta get people in and out!

Once they finished, paid, and left, you were looking over the receipt that was left. There was a phone number on it...

You seem cool, we should hang out sometime when you're off! Text me!