25. Newfound Love for Gothic History

Start from the beginning

"What books are back there?"

I looked to where he was pointing, the far corner of the library where rows of shelves turned into a maze that got darker as the lights stopped much quicker than the rows.

I squinted at the little sign barely visible above the rows.

"Gothic History?"

I looked back and Greyson was nodding emphatically, sitting up in his seat. "Yes. Gothic History. Can you help me find a book there?"

He stood up, waiting for me to follow, but I frowned at him. "And what piece on Gothic History are you looking for?"

"Whichever you choose for me."

He beamed at me genuinely. I narrowed my eyes but stood up. If he kept asking me to go get more books that he might find interesting, half the library would end up unopened on our table.

We walked the hallway quietly, passing endless rows—I think there were only two other people here besides the library assistant, who sat at the main table that was now receding behind us. We took a turn into a row and she was lost from sight, as well as the two readers perched on armchairs far away. They were talking, but from this distance I couldn't hear anything.

Then we were surrounded by books. The lighting was muted, just bright enough to decipher the titles of the tall, old, clearly neglected books on Gothic History.

"Okay, so," I mused, raising an eyebrow as I scanned the titles. "Did you want something about, like, their wars, maybe? I could see you potentially—"

I was abruptly cut off as Greyson grabbed my waist, whirling me around and backing me up into a bookshelf that rattled as I hit it.

"Greyson!" I whispered at him, eyes wide and looking down the rows, waiting for the library assistant to appear and tell us to be quiet.

Greyson pressed against me, leaning closer. I had to crane my neck to meet his eyes, and he smirked at my reaction.

"I love your fascination with books, Lawson," he said lowly, his voice gruff. "It's nerdy." He leaned down and planted a kiss on my nose. "It's cute." A kiss on my cheek. "But we got interrupted by the Gabster on Monday and I want to finish what I started—show you something I'm fascinated with."

He kissed me—lightly, pulling back as I melted into him.

"They're going to hear us!" I hissed at him, scrunching my fingers in his shirt.

The tall racer raised his eyebrows. "Well, I wasn't planning on being loud, but you on the other hand—"

I punched his chest and he chuckled, kissing me again, fully this time. He tilted his head, pushing me deeper into the bookshelf. A book dug painfully into my back, and I winced. He noticed, and grabbed my hips, spinning us around so his back was toward the shelf.

Wrapping my hands around his shoulders, I buried my fingers in his hair.

I couldn't get enough of him. It was like electricity between us, every molecule of my being felt drawn to him but when I touched him I felt like I was touching an open wire, shocking me with feelings I'd held back for too long.

"Man, I really enjoy Gothic History," Greyson murmured against my lips. I snorted, trying to muffle my laughter, and this made him smile.

I crossed my arms against his chest and leaned my chin onto my hands, peering up at him. He pushed a strand of blonde hair away from my face, letting his fingers fall into my hair.

"Are you ever going to take me out on an actual date, or am I just a make-out buddy?" I teased.

"You're the one who wanted to keep this secret, may I remind you. And I did take you on a date."