i have always loved you.

Hello again! I know it's been a hot minute for me to post to this collection, but I have a new fic done!
I started dabbling with a new fandom and I've already been a fan of the sport for a long time, so it just made sense to me! This is a Charles Leclerc x Max Verstappen fanfic that takes place after the Australian Grand Prix that happened this year. I hope you enjoy!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Charles was not happy.

The Australian Grand Prix had just started, and he managed to crash out on the first lap. The FIRST lap, for god sakes!

He turned into Lance at Turn 3 and their tyres clipped, causing him to spin and get beached in the gravel adjacent to the track. As if his luck could get any worse.

"FUCK!" he screamed to himself inside his helmet. He knew he should have kept more space and tried for overtakes later in the race. He knew that he had a fast enough car to at least get around the Aston Martins and maybe even the Mercedes, but instead he got a little greedy and tried to make an early move, only for the racing gods to punish him for being too aggressive.

He clicked on his radio. "Yeah...we're done," he relayed to Xavi, taking the steering wheel out of his car and heaved himself out. How could he have been so careless? This season for Charles was the worst of his career, and his patience with the performance of the car was running thin. After a moderately successful campaign in 2022 ending with a second place finish in the standings, Charles had hoped for a similar start to the 2023 campaign. He had trained his body to the max to help himself push harder than ever before and he wanted all the hard work to pay off starting with the first race of the season.

After a DNF in Bahrain, it was clear to Charles that the car was not up to the same standard that it was last year, and he demanded that Ferrari take a look into the issues that plagued his race. Ferrari had determined that there were a pair of issues with the power unit and they needed to replace them, resulting in a ten-place grid penalty to take effect in Jeddah.

Charles' heart plummeted to the pits of his stomach when he heard the news.

Starting from P12 in Jeddah, after pushing his very shitty car to its limits and qualifying P2, Charles believed that he could make up those places and return back to podium position. His team had pitted him at lap 16 for hard tyres that would take him to the end of the race and he thought he was flying.

Then, a very unfortunate yellow flag for an incident with Lance on lap 18 that ended his chances right then and there. Finishing P7 at the end was the final nail in the coffin for Jeddah, and Charles was livid. He expressed his frustration to Xavi and Mattia during the debrief, but he knew that there was nothing that he could do about any of this. It wasn't his fault, and his team had let him down again, just like so many times before.

Now in Australia, the team had been touch and go throughout the weekend and he qualified P7, which wasn't his best. But hey, with the piece of crap car that Ferrari had built for him and the countless issues that plagued his season, he was okay with that result. He had wished for more, but he knew he could make it up in the race.

Now, those chances were gone forever.

He jumped down from the car and walked away from the carcass that remained. Head down, he began to tear up out of frustration that his season had started off so poorly. This was the final nail in the coffin for him. It was a hard pill to swallow but he knew that with everything that happened to him with the boys in red, his chances of getting a World Drivers Championship with Ferrari were over. No one would be able to tell, but he let a few tears fall as he was driven back to the garage to watch the end of the race, and his dreams, alone.