XXV. Safe & Sound

Start from the beginning

"I've done what I promised," the woman said with a small huff. "You can choose to believe it or not." The woman began to turn to ride off somewhere and leave them.

"And where do you go?" Jaehaera asked.

"I do not care," The fiery-haired woman answered. "I have family in Frankia."

"That way is inland," Jaehaera reminded her, the woman probably already knew that.

"Ships come in near Ceaster," Uhtred spoke. "Travel with us, we will show you." Jaehaera smiled at her siblings, and then at the woman. "If she's lying, at least she's under our control." Jaehaera noticed how Finan's eyes never left the woman, and she smirked inwardly.

"I'm sick of being controlled," the woman answered sharply. Jaehaera smirked, she knew she liked this woman. She turned like she had planned to do before.

"Then travel alone," her father told her. The woman seemed to recognize that it would probably be stupid for her to go on alone, and turned around once more. "When did Aethelflaed leave?" Uhtred asked.

"Last night," the woman answered. "In haste. Without much silver, and only Lord Aldhelm to protect her."

Uhtred looked up, "Then she may be at Wenloca already. We should ride back to meet her."

"Lord," Finan spoke, looking at the woman for a second, and then at Uhtred. "We should not do this. If she found us, so will they."

"Are you good with children?" her father asked as he looked at everyone in their party.

"Not really," the woman answered, and Jaehaera smiled.

"Excellent," Uhtred answered, "neither are we. We go back!" he told everyone. They all turned back around and went back the way they had come and toward Wenloca. Sihtric rode in the very back once more with Rickon, and Jaehaera rode next to the woman.

"I'm Jaehaera," She introduced herself, "and you?"

"Eadith," the woman answered. Jaehaera smiled and nodded.

"Eadith," Jaehaera repeated. "Well, having another woman with me will certainly be refreshing. Not that Stiorra isn't pleasant company, and the men aren't as well, but..you know..." she trailed off, feeling herself begin to ramble.

Eadith nodded and smiled, "I do," she answered and a small wave of relief flooded over Jaehaera. "It's nice to meet you."

"You as well," Jaehaera told her. "The Irish one, Finan, he'll come around. The dane, Sihtric, he's kind even though he doesn't look it. And Rickon, is, well, he's Rickon. You'll see what I mean. The monk, Osferth, is probably the sweetest of them all, he's the easiest to get along with."

Eadith just smiled and nodded, "I look forward to it."

The group continued on their journey, and Eadith and Jaehaera found themselves lost in their conversation. Jaheaera told her about everything they had experienced and even about Sihtric when Eadith asked. She found talking to the woman rather enjoyable. She had never had a female friend before except for when she was young. She thought of Hild more like a mother figure than anything, and Stiorra is her sister. Aethelflaed felt more like an acquaintance now if anything at all.

"I've not asked," Finan answered Sihtric.

"It's a bit stale," Sihtric pointed out while biting into the bread.

"That bread is so stale, it'll take a tooth out," Finan replied. Jaehaera and Eadith looked ahead at the two and smirked.

"Leave the fresher bread for the children," her father told them. "My men have the stomachs of dogs."