IX. Amor Prohibido

Amor prohibido murmuran por las calles

Porque somos de distintas sociedades

Amor prohibido nos dice todo el mundo

El dinero no importa en ti ni en mí,

Ni en el corazón

"What binds a man to a land?" Father Pyrlig asked as their party rode from Beamfleot, coming to a field with workers in it. "You have a poor wretch, toiling in the fields," Jaehaera and the others watched the group of workers, "burning in summer, shivering in winter. He works all day, every day for nothing more than a loaf of bread, and a pot to piss in. His children die of disease, his wife dies giving him children. Yet, when that land is threatened, something stirs. Why?"

"It is the land that feeds him," Clapa answered from behind her. She looked at him, he could be right, but something told her that wasn't the answer Father Pyrlig had been looking for.

Father Pyrlig shook his head, she had been right. "More than that."

"Uh, the trees of the land," Finan answered next, and even Jaehaera shook her head at him. That wasn't it. "They are used for shelter, fire." He had been so sure he had to be right. She chuckled at him.

"More than that," Father Pyrlig answered Finan.

Jaehaera thought, then she smiled. She knew. "Is it love, Father?" she asked him, she looked down to hide her smirk. The others groaned at her answer, it had been the obvious one, and no one got it. They hated how smart the girl was, but her father smiled. He knew the answer as well, but he didn't want to play.

Father Pyrlig turned his head back to the girl with a smile. "Yes," Pyrlig answered. "The girl has it, it can only be love," Jaehaera smirked down at her horse, and Finan examined the girl. He feared the worst had happened. He would have to speak to her later. She felt him looking at her, and she looked back with confusion as she read his face. "It is a powerful thing," Pyrlig continued. "Would you not agree, Lord Uhtred? From wretch to warrior, love gives a man strength, often at the cost of his mind."

Her father didn't answer. Then he turned to his daughter, "Jaehaera," he called back to her. "Sing us a song, please?"

She sighed, she didn't like singing, not without Sihtric here to give her courage, but she nodded at her father. Though she did not know what to sing. Then she thought of another song, though she didn't think it would bring light spirits to the group. Then she thought of Aethelred's mess, and she no longer cared. "I remember tears streaming down your face when I said I'll never let you go," she sang as they rode, even the men behind her, Mercian or otherwise, listened. Aethelred found her singing voice the most pleasant. Maybe the little bird would sing more for him. Finan found the man staring at her in a manner that would not amuse her father, nor Sihtric, and he put a stop to it with one glare.

"When all those shadows almost killed your light," she continued, not knowing the air behind her. "I remember you said don't leave me here alone, but all that's dead and gone and passed tonight." Her father closed his eyes to listen as they continued. Pyrlig had never heard the girl sing before, and at this time she didn't look frightening. She looked peaceful, and beautiful in a serene way. Osferth listened intently, never hearing this song before. "Just close your eyes, the sun is going down. You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now. Come morning light, you and I'll be safe and sound."