Chapter Twenty-Seven

Adira's POV

I pressed the "Ignore" button on the caller ID and looked to Keon with a shrug. I didn't want to hear Josh's excuses right now. My stomach still ached from vomiting and I felt gross after the night before. Hearing Josh try to explain that it "wasn't his fault" or whatever other BS he was going to tell me didn't exactly sound like a good time. In fact, not only was I too sad, but also a little bit angry. He wasn't going to get off the hook easily this time. After the first Crystal incident, I should have seen he was more trouble then I first thought. He wasn't called a "player" for nothing, and I wasn't ready to get played.

Instead a gave a little shy smile to Keon and stood up.

"It's nothing... So, what are you up to today?" I asked with an awkward smile. My question just felt too casual after our weird cuddle session last night and all the drama he met me in the midst of. He smiled back just as awkwardly and shrugged.

"I don't have a lot of friends so... Not much really," he said, looking down at his socked feet. Poor thing! I approached him and gave a little nod.

"Would you be up to going to the beach or something? It's too chilly to swim but we could always have a bonfire," I suggested happily. Keon looked up with his blue eyes, seeming quite lively in the afternoon sunlight. His whole face lit up with interest and if he were a dog, his ears would have been perked up, I'm sure. He nodded.

"Alright," I said, calculating "But I'm going to need some clothes and a shower first. And a toothbrush. I could go home, if you want," I suggested, although I didn't really mean it. There was no way I would survive going home if Josh was there. Frankly, I hoped that Keon had another idea, but I didn't want to seem rude or pushy to use his things. To my relief, Keon shook his head, making his hair go a bit messier. He looked almost like a little kid.

"No! I don't want you to have to face that... your husband. How about you hop in my shower and I'll go buy you some clothes in town," he said while looking at me tenderly, as if I was a bird with a broken wing "I don't have a lot of money, but I could afford to buy you a little something." At this I looked away, guilt roiling in my stomach like a familiar foe. I couldn't just make him buy me something. Not after all the charity he already showed me, along with the fact he didn't have as much money to his name as most kids my age.

"You really don't have to do that. Maybe I could—" but before I could finish talking, Keon pushed a gentle finger to my lips. My eyes widened and he dropped his hand immediately, as if he had accidentally touched my lips. What had been an attempt to be smooth horribly backfired, and he stepped back a few steps while pulling his sleeves over his wrists uncomfortably.

"Sorry, I just , ah, I just wanted to say it's no bother. Really," said Keon and he refused to meet my eyes. I couldn't help but chuckle. His awkwardness was charming and a breath of fresh air. If Josh had put his fingers to my lips like that, he would have followed it up with some smooth talking, not this awkward shy moment happening in front of me.

I sighed. I needed to stop comparing Keon and Josh.

"Alright. So where's your shower?" I asked. Keon smiled and took my hand, making butterflies fly up my arm and into my stomach. After he gently rubbed my hand, I felt my insides heat up, as the warmth of Keon's skin pressed against mine was so comforting. I began to imagine what it would be like to feel more his bare skin, to see what was beneath those shy long sleeves.

Of course, then I snapped out of it. Bad Adira! Bad baby hormones! Keon lead me to the shower and I thanked him. Slipping inside the bathroom alone, I set the shower setting to "cold" to calm me down some. I sure needed it.

A/N— Sorry for the short update, I just really wanted to get something out today. Now some news:

1. This story will soon be available on Kindle as I hope to sell it on Amazon. I will add bonus content and I will release the ending of the story on Amazon two weeks before I post the ending of this story online. Cool, right?

2. I politely request that you all please stop commenting/messaging me about updating. It does not make me want to update any faster. So, instead, I challenge you to answer my reader QOTD: What should Adira/Josh's couple name be?

3. Girl baby name choices are: 1. Aurelia 2. Willow or 3. Saige