Chapter Eighteen

Soon enough I was home, changed, and snuggling with my cat. Once again my mother called the school, telling them she had pulled me out right before classes started. After explaining the whole situation (I've never been great at lying to my mother) my mom let me escape upstairs-- not after getting into an angry rant about how much she hated that bitch Crystal and worried about Josh not standing up for me. I didn't bother explaining that Josh did try standing up for me, but it just wasn't enough to win back the love of his friends. I also didn't mention the smoking.

For the remainder of the day, I gave myself a spa day. I used a green face mask on my face, laid in a bubble bath, and did yoga, all while my cat and puppy stared at me like I was a lunatic. My mother left at about noon to go grab us some lunch and go grocery shopping; likewise, even though I was depressed I had managed to relax myself into a state of surrpressing the sadness. That was, of course, until my bad day turned into The Worst Day, all starting with Josh showing up at my door step.

After controlling Fitzy, I opened the door looking horrible in plaid shorts, a white tee that read "coffee, pancakes, waffles," and my hair up in a messy bun. Fitzy stopped barking when she saw the Greek adonis standing out side my house, but his worried face seemed a bit overly concerned.

"I need to come in," said Josh, his face still shell shocked. Out of worry, I stepped aside, letting him wander into my house and sit down at the kitchen table. He set down a brown paper bag which Fitzy promptly sniffed.

"Oh my God, Adira," Josh whispered. I shut the door, sitting across from him at the kitchen table.

"If this is about Crystal, you're being a drama queen," I said with a sneer. Josh looked up.

"Crystal's at home, just like everyone else. Have you watched the news lately?" asked Josh. I shook my head. Josh sighed, burying his face in his hands, and my heart picked up.

"What happened?" I asked, my voice laced with concern.

"It mutated," said Josh solemnly. Immediatly I knew what he meant. The plague. The same plague that took my daddy was back, and now it was drug resistent. My mind raced as I remembered those dark days-- the days spent in quarentine after my father passed, sitting the in hospital with my mother, praying that I woulnd't keel over (I didn't know at the time that the plague didn't occur in young people) while still mourning him. I remember returning home to find our house had been untouched and relieved that no one took Lilac to cook her up. I thought back to the relief when I saw the trucks pulled in front of our house-- government trucks filled with needles and food, promising us health and a solution to our growing hunger.

My hands began to shake.

"Oh God," I whispered, terrified. Josh nodded.

"They cancelled schools nationwide. The curfews back and--" Josh paused, biting his lip "And we only have six months now to get your pregnant. I'm sorry, Adira, I wish we had more time."

My mind raced. While Josh and I were most likely safe, as the plague doesn't attack the young, I worried about my mother. After all she had been through, she couldn't just die.

Right on cue, my mother entered the house and I ran up to hug her. Surprised, my mother put down the groceries, her weak arms hugging me back. I buried my face in his hair.

"What's wrong? Oh, hello Josh," said my mother. She looked down at me with concern.

"Mom, I have something to tell you."

***

After watching the news, we learned that a lock down would be starting in our town that night, and no one was allowed to leave their homes for three days in fear of spreading the plague. We agreed that I should stay at Josh's-- if not for the purpose of procreation, but also in case my mother was sick, as she didn't want me to see her die. I packed my things and gave her a big hug before leaving with Fitzy and Josh. We left Lilac there to keep her company.

Wiping my tears, I sighed as Josh drove the Mini Cooper to his beautiful mansion. Josh looked over me with concern.

"This doesn't exactly put me in the mood," I grumbled. Josh sighed.

"I know hun, we've got six months. I'm sorry about all of this," he said. I shrugged and looked out the window, my heart feeling as black as the night sky. Why would anyone ever want to have kids in such a dark, depressing world as this?

When we arrived inside, Josh grabbed my stuff and carried it up the winding mahogany staircase. We entered into the immaculate kitchen and headed upstairs, stashing my stuff in the guest room that Josh usually had sex in with his one night stands. I wrinkled my nose.

"I don't want to stay in there. The sheets might have herpes," I grumbled. At this Josh couldn't help but laugh. It was a nice noise after the horrible, quiet, tense day that had unraveled thus far.

"Hey, I passed my STD checks just like you. Alright, fine, I guess you get some wifey privilieges," said Josh, lifting up my heavy bags onto his strong, strong shoulders. My heart tingled a little at the word "wifey" and I felt my mood improving immensly.

"I'm going downstairs to have something to drink. You want anything?" I asked. Josh shook his head and I padded my way down the beautiful staircase, still a little in awe at how amazing his mansion was.

In the kitchen, I poured myself some cranberry Sprite and sat at the bar, drinking carefully and watching the fire place, which lit up automatically, crackle softly. My mind wandered all over from simple subjects such as the latest book I had read to more depressing things like my father. Josh reminded me a lot of my dad sometimes when he let his sense of humor show. My dad was always so funny.

Finally, I headed upstairs to Josh's room, but to my shock found a note on his bed. Third door to the right it read. I shrugged and headed out the door, hearing the water running from said room.

Entering the bathroom, I found a huge two person bathroom with a standing shower with no curtain or glass around it, a million candles, one hot tub filled to the brim with bubbles, and a cheeky guy grinning from it. My heart stopped. Josh was butt naked.

Nervously, I looked away, and to my shock he stood up. Bubbles slid down his chisled abs and my eyes travelled lower and lower until-- My face flushed as I realized other girls had seen him like this before, and they probably had taken more initiative then I was standing there wringing my hands feeling uncomfortable. Josh smiled.

"Adira, it's okay. I don't expect anything from you tonight.... I just wanted us to get more comfortable with each other. You okay with that?" he asked. His sencerity made my heart throb,but I kept my eyes trained to the ground. Was I okay with this? Taking a deep breath, I looked up at Josh, meeting his sea blue eyes. Boldly, I took off my shirt.

"Hope the water isn't too warm," I said.

A/N-- Hey guys. To answer a lot of the questions from yesterday, the film I was in is called River City Panic. There are trailers on Youtube (I'm the blonde) and I would totally appreciate it if you checked it out. Thanks for all the support, see you guys tomorrow.