"Say, uh Ma...You uh, you need help with anything?" Maurice nervously asked, inching little by little into the kitchen.

"No, I'm good...Wait, y'know actually you can get that ham outta the oven for me. Sit it off to the side so it can cool, baby" she replied, extending the oven mitt his way, never once did she stop stirring of the Mac and cheese.

"I got you" he said as he did as he was instructed. His phone began to ring, so he sat the pan with the ham on the stovetop to answer it.

"Pops, wassup?" He answered, leaning against the counter before being shooed away by my mom. "Oh nothing, I was just wondering when you & Mama Sam were coming to finally meet your grandson. My sister's stay coming over, everybody really, but y'all...Yeah, I know but he's been here for four weeks & you still haven't seen him in person once..." he trailed, folding one of his arms under the other while he listened.

"I understand that, but it's not like he'll get cancer from you being around him. You can wear a mask if that'll make you feel better...To keep it a stack, you've been moving real weird since before he--Nah, I don't think I'll be doing that..." I could tell by his face & his tone, that the conversation was starting to get a bit heated & he was growing more & more agitated the longer he stayed on the phone. I adjusted the baby to burp him, but kept my ears opened still trying to be nosey.

"Ain't nobody letting you die, bruh...You're being dramatic...Nah, I'm starting to feel like my wife was right all along...You know what that means, I don't gotta explain it...So prove me wrong then, Matthew--Bruh, stop cutting me off, let me fin--" he sighed as he paced, sucking his teeth before he spoke into the phone again.

"Look, I'm not about to do this back & forth with you. You know my number, you know where I stay, nothing's changed. You know how to reach me" he hung up, stuffing his phone in his sweatpants pocket as he walked back into the kitchen like nothing happened.

"Everything good, babe?" I quizzed. He chuckled as he shook his head & shrugged his shoulders.

"Ion know bae. I hope so" he dryly said, kissing my forehead & taking the baby away from me to go sit on the couch.

"Denise Erin Davis-Howard, I got a bone to pick with you Miss. Mamas" my mother said from the refrigerator.

"What?" I asked innocently, but I knew where she was going with this.

"I don't think I ever told you but...and this is a true story. I had a friend that didn't wait & ended up having two kids in the same year. One in January & the other in November" she continued with a smirk on her face, pointing at me as she made her way to the cabinet to grab some plates out.

"Lies" I protested but all she did was scoff & laugh.

"It's one hundred percent the truth. I used to watch them when you were away at school, she moved to another state & we lost contact, but it's true....Besides it can't be that good, that you can't wait."

"Shiiii...Mama, I can't even talk to you about that, but just know that I'm a woman with needs" I laughed.

"You Needs to be more careful, you're fertile as hell right now. Are you trying to have another baby so soon?"

 Are you trying to have another baby so soon?"