Chapter 5: I just want you to know who I am.

I ran out on to the roof - my safe place when I really needed to get away from everything. I stayed up there literally all day. I couldn't even believe what just happened. How could she just "forget" to tell me about him? I picked up my phone and started scrolling through tumblr. Anything I could do to get my mind off of my mom's insanity. I was laughing at a fandom post when I received a text from an unknown number.

Hey, It's Michael.

What? I hadn't given him my number... how did he even know?

Hey, uhm, how did you get my number?

Abigail gave it to me. I really wanted to get to know you so I wouldn't leave her alone until she gave it to me. :)

Oh, okay. So, what do you want to know?

Everything. well, first though, how are you doing?

Fine, I guess...

I don't like that answer.

I wasn't too sure what he meant. I mean, I know but he's only talked to me a few time outside of science, so I was really confused as to why he seemed so... close. I couldn't tell if I even wanted him this close. Every time I'd ever let someone in like this it ended badly. I told myself not to do it with Abigail, but something told me to trust her. I really had a hard time figuring out how to lie to him, so I flat out texted him everything that happened. Every single detail. I'm not sure what possessed me to do that, but I had a voice in the back of my head saying that it was the right thing, despite my sub-conscious urge to fight it. I watched my phone for about 3 minutes, him typing and backspacing. Finally, my phone rang and sure enough it was him.

"Hello." I said with a shaky voice.

"Hey princess. Are you okay?"

"Y-yeah. I'm fine" I lied with tears brimming in my eyes.

"No, you're not. Look, I wouldn't be either. You've hinted at your relationship with your mom a few times now and I know enough to say that it's not the best. Why wouldn't she tell you?"

"She doesn't really... talk to me. I mean, I feel lucky if she asks me how my day was. She's so busy with work that it's easy to forget about her only child." I said between tears.

"Aurora... I'm so sorry. I know I've only known you for a week, so I don't expect you to trust me, but if you ever wanna talk, I'm here."

"Thanks, Michael."

"Okay then. I guess I'll leave you to your Saturday night. I hope it gets better."

"Yeah, I do too."

We said our goodbyes and he started to hang up, but I just couldn't help what happened next.

"Michael."

"Yeah?"

"I don't wanna be alone. I have no one else who can or even will talk to me at this point. Will you stay on the phone with me?"

"Absolutely. Whatever makes you feel better."

"Thanks."

I realized how dark it was, and snuck into my room, which was an easy task. We talked for the next three hours, and got to know each other. I'm not sure how, but he made me feel like everything was gonna be alright.

I guess we never hung up, because when I woke up the next morning, he was still on the other line.

Hi!

Thank you SO much for 100+ reads! It means everything to me!

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter! I love feedback of any kind, so feel free to comment.

This chapter title is a lyric from "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls, and it's my favorite song ever. Check it out!

I love you all sososo much!

~Dev, DeadliestSeahawk13