Chapter 5

Time passed by quickly and we were already graduating highschool. At sa panahon na yun ay napalapit ng napalapit si Mateo at Weslie. Weslie accepted her feelings for Mateo and didn't stop them anymore.

Ilang beses ko silang iniwan para lang mapalapit sila. Ilang beses din akong tumangging sumama tuwing nagaalok silang namasyal para lang mapagisa sila. Ilang beses din akong nagthird-wheel sa kanila. But today will be the last.

Finally, they will be official. Matagal na panahon din silang nagligawan. Today, on our graduation day, Mateo will ask Weslie to be his girlfriend. After this, I won't have to play cupid any longer. They won't need me anymore. But, I'm happy for them.

Napukaw ang atensyon ko nang nagsimulang magtawag mula sa section namin. Isa isang tumayo ang mga kaklase ko at umakyat sa stage nang matawag ang pangalan nila.

"Emseray Levaine A. Cortez, With Highest Honors"

I stood up and looked around, looking for my parents. Ah, wala sila. What did I expect? As usual, busy siguro sila. Inulit ng emcee and pangalan ko. I held my tears in and forced a smile. Naglakad ako papunta sa stage. But for one last time, lumingon ulit ako para tignan kung dumating ba sila. Wala.

I sighed and just went up. Nagaalalang tumingin sa akin ang advicer ko. Hindi na niya ako tinanong kung nasaan ang mga magulang o guardian ko. Marahil ay alam na niya ang dahilan kung bakit wala sila.

Sinabit na ng adviser ko ang medal sa leeg ko at inabot sa akin ang certificate. I looked at the crowd smiled for the picture.

'Congrats self, you did well,' I though to myself.

Nang matapos ang program, nagsipagpicturan na ang lahat. I took several pictures with my classmates and friends.

"Uy Esme nakita mo ba si Mateo? Parang kanina pa siya nawawala?" Tanong ni Weslie.

"Turn around" I just said and she followed. Mateo was standing a few steps away her, holding a boquet of red roses and smiling brightly. I took several steps back, took my phone out and started to video them.

Slowly, Mateo walked towards Weslie. Weslie just stood still, obviously shocked. "Hey, what's all this about?" she confusely asked and looked around.

"Wes, look at me." Mateo said and Weslie did as told. "Weslie, I've been courting you for more than a year now. And no matter how many months have passed, I still feel the same feeling as I did when I first saw you, only deeper. Every new thing I learn about you makes me love you more. And I want to know more about you as the years go by. I will never get tired of hearing your voice, your laugh, and your stories. I want to always see you smile and I want to be the reason you smile. I love you. I may be imperfect, but I will try my best to the perfect man for you. So Weslie, will you be my girlfriend?" he finally asked and handed her the boquet.

"Mateo..." naiiyak na sabi ni Weslie. She hesitated to speak and glanced at me before answering. I just nodded and smiled. She smiled back and looked into Mateo's eyes which was waiting for her answer. "Of course" she said.

"YES!!!!" Mateo happily shouted and hugged her.

The crowd around us cheered happily and some of my classmates even shed some tears saying their ship has finally sailed

After that, I ended the video and silently walked away. No body even noticed I was leaving because they were busy congratulating the two.

As I walked down the streets, I closed my eyes and sighed. Its finally done. Well done self, well done... They're happy now, so let him go.

But my tears started to flow uncontrollably. I squatted down and covered my face.

I heard someone sigh. "....Hey, you're seriously crying again?" I heard a familliar voice ask me.
I raised my head and saw Arczen standing infron't of me, his eyes filled with worry. He handed me his handkerchief which I gladly took. "Ilan na ulit ang mga panyong binigay ko sayo?"

"Shut up. Don't worry, Zen, sa birthday mo bibilhan kita ng buong box ng panyo." I joked. Ever since that day when I first met him, madalas ko na siyang makita sa park kaya unti unti na kaming naging close. Siguro after Mateo and Weslie, he's my closest friend.

"Come on, stand up. I'll buy you some ice cream." he said and offered his hand. I took his hand and stood up. "Did you cry because of them again?" He asked while we were walking around the park and he was eating his vanilla ice cream.

"Yea, don't worry, last na to. I'll let him go now." I answered and started eating my chocolate ice cream.

"Finally, because you look so ugly whenever you cry," he joked.

"You know, you look like an angel on the outside but in the inside you're really mean."

He laughed. "And you may look tough on the outside but you're really a huge crybaby"

"Whatever. Change topic."

He just laughed and we started to talk about different things. We kept talking and laughing without even realizing how much time passed.

-------

Maggagabi na ng makarating ako sa bahay pero wala pa rin sila mama.  Medyo malaki ang bahay namin, 2 floors, pero lagi namang wala sila mama. My mom is a lawyer while my dad is a business man.

I opened the light and walked to the kitchen. Naghanap ako ng pagkain pero puro delata, noodles, at mga processed food lang ang nakita ko. "Jeez graduation ko tas ayan kakainin ko? No way" I said to myself and texted my mom.

'Mama mamaya pa kayo uuwi diba? Magoorder ako ng pizza. Anong gusto niyo ni papa?'

Matapos ang ilang minuto, nagreply na siya.

'Bumili na ako nak, yung fav mo. Congrats anak! Good job. Pauwi na kami ni papa mo.' - Mama

I smiled and just sat in the sala, using my phone while waiting for them. After around 20 minutes, dumating na sila. They were carrying a box of pizza, a tub of ice cream, a box of cake, a boquet of flowers, and some balloons.

"Ma! Pa! What's this?" gulat kong tanong habang inaabot sa akin ni mama yung flowers at balloons habang nilalapag ni papa yung pagkain sa lamesa.

"Its your graduation, of course we need to celebrate." she said. "Tara na kain na tayo nak----"

"No, wait, picture muna dapat." papa said.

We started taking pictures and after that kumain na kami habang nagkwekwentuhan. Although my parents aren't always around, everytime we're together is always happy and special.