The Voyage (1921) By Katherine Mansfield

Summary less than 500 words :

The Picton departed in the evening on a beautiful night. Fenella walked cheerfully. She was accompanied by her father and her grandmother. Fenella had her grandmother's umbrella in her hand. Then suddenly, out of the blue, Fenella and her grandmother both jumped up, they were so happy to be together, when they saw the Picton boat.

On the boat, Fenella stood looking out to sea. The ship was swaying ever so slightly, and she thought the stars were swaying too. The stewardess came to offer Fenella tea but she shook her head and thanked her. Then the stewardess, and she exited, closed the door and went about her business. The cabin was very small so Fenella opted to go outside. Sitting on the plush sofa, she slowly and carefully removed her boots. Fenella took off her coat and skirt and put on a dressing gown and was ready for dinner.

Father of Fenella, Fenella, and her grandmother returned to her cabin. Fenella remembered she had left the umbrella on the small sofa. But grandma remembered too, at the same time. So she told the flight attendant to get it. Fenella jumped out of bed. The lights are still on, but the night is over, and it's cold. Now they were scattered with foam; now a gull passed by; and now came a long strip of land. Fenella realized that land was coming and she was overjoyed. Fenella put on her black clothes again. The sun had not yet risen, but the cold pale sky was the same color as the cold pale sea. Until they saw the landing stage and a few small houses, it was pale too.

Slowly she swam towards Picton's boat, and a man held a rope. Fenella put her hand on the gate. They traveled up a small gravel road, with sodden flower beds on either side by the time they got back to their house. In their house, they all met Grandpa, and Fenella was so happy that she kissed him. Fenella smiled again and was overjoyed.