Chapter 9

~Kuch is tarah maine zindagi ko aasaan kar liya, kisi se maafi maang li, kisi ko maaf kar diya.~

He made the bed and quickly fixed the pillows, making sure the curtains were opened to let the soft breeze and sunlight inside his room. Cleaning everything, Idris fixed the purple vase of red roses on the bedside table.

A way to welcome Raaya. Or a way to apologize. The door opened with a click. Raaya stood at the threshold with his mother, her eyes taking it all in and lastly grazed at Idris for a moment.

"Welcome."

It still felt surreal, her standing in his room. Didn't know what Raaya told his mother but he had lost all hopes of seeing her in his house? Raaya didn't reply and ignored him entering the room.

"If you need anything, dear, just call me."

Mummy patted her head and left the room, making sure Raaya was comfortable in the bed.

Idris had no idea where to stand or look in her vicinity. The tiny pinch of guilt on his heart kept him unsettled. But Raaya observed him, as if he was a piece in a museum.

"Do you need anything, Raaya?"

She shook her head, "Where's my luggage?"

"I put your clothes," he opened the cupboard, "here. You can change the setting if you want. I didn't know what side you will prefer so I just-"

"It's fine."

Her hands were playing with the fabric of the comforter and there were so many unsaid words between them. The weight seemed to be growing in his heart.

He stood near the bed, refraining to look at Raaya, "I'm going to shift to the guest room, you can stay here properly…"

"No need to give everyone gossip about what's happening between us." Raaya for the first time, looked in his eyes, his insides flipping in somersault, "I already did that. We can stay in one room."

He knew Raaya took all the decisions in fear, what people would think. He could sense hesitancy, fear in her voice. He was behind it all. Everything that was going with its beautiful pace, he ruined it with his ugly haste.

"Okay."

Idris nodded before leaving the room, promising himself that he would make Raaya comfortable in his vicinity, she would feel protected around him, not scared, ever.

***

Zahir put the full stop and kept the pen in his notebook. The night had started its journey to get dark yet he was far away from sleep. Many things revolved in his mind, worry about Raaya, prayers for her well being and Hamida's black eyes.

He reminisced about the day at the hospital's canteen. When Hamida removed that one brick from the wall between them, and talked about her inhibitions, her constant worry about Raaya.

This morning Raaya returned to Idris's house. And now they were back to square one. Hamida did a very good job of ignoring him and he enjoyed it. Because he loved watching her. Sometimes she would be making bouquets for her work, sometimes reading a thick book, or sometimes just staring out of the window.

Zahir Mirza loved her furrowed brows in concentration but not in worry.

Smiling to himself, he made his way downstairs to have a glass of water. His steps slowed down in their pace looking at the scene in front of him. Hamida curled up on a sofa with a book. Her face showed anticipation of something interesting in the book, as she took a sip from her mug.

"Boo."

A gasp and three heavy beatings on his back pushed Zahir's heart at ease. "You fool, idiot, Zahir."