CH4 - Politics

Ainz Ooal Gown sat in the guest room, read prison, with a pile of books in front of him that had long since been ignored. For the rest of the day after he had dropped a meteor on the demons he had read everything he could about this land's magic. Then for the day after as well he did the same with a single thought growing in weight in his mind. Now, in the morning of what was his fourth day in this strange yet seemingly very real land he had come to an impasse that he could not ignore.

He didn't know anything about magic.

Yes he knew of his own magic from Yyggdrasil, but the more he read up on the magic of Eostia, the more he had come to realize how little he knew. He knew of magic as it was in the game, and ability you used MP to cast depending on what types a class had access to. These ranged from healing to super grade magic's that destroyed throngs of enemies. But that was all he knew it as, an ability. He knew that Yggdrasil had taken a lot from an old Tabletop game system to help devise it magic, classifying the magic by type and quantifying it by levels according to what the spells could do, but that still did not change the fact that as a game it was never heavily delved into how magic worked. There was some little bits of lore for it, but only enough to appease most players.

Eostia however had mountains of books upon magic. Many were belittling it, but those that were properly written tomes on how to use it were interesting and somewhat well thought out, if sometimes vague. They had mentions to mana, fonts of power, visualizations, magic words, chants, focuses and so forth. Things one would expect in any fantasy setting, but nothing that directly answered Ainz's question on how magic worked as a whole.

He had done some small experiments with his own magic, but it had left him with again more questions than answers. He could think of the spell, imagine its effects, and with a word it was cast, making him feel like something was leaving him. He figured it was most likely his mana, but had no real way to confirm it without another's help. Something that was not likely to occur anytime soon with the way things were looking so far.

He was suddenly pulled from his thoughts by a pair of sharp knocks on the door to the room, causing him to glance over to it and let out a sigh. "Yes?"

The door opened to reveal a maid, human, tall, with sharp features and a cool look in her eyes, pushing a trolley cart with food upon it. "Sir Gown, I am here with breakfast for you."

Ainz let out a sigh as he turned in the chair to face her. "I believe I told you this many times yesterday, but I do not need food brought to me. When I am hungry I shall make that fact known," He explained for what was the fourth or fifth time now. After having used meteor fall, the maid had appeared later that day with food for him, claiming she was ordered to attend to his needs.

It was abundantly clear someone was using the maid to try to gain information him, as she would not leave unless he pressed the matter. The real question was who was behind her presence. Klaus seemed too trusting and respectful to think of such a thing.

"Be that as it may, I have my orders to tend to your needs, and providing food is important," the maid said professionally with a bow. "I shall leave the food here for when you require it."

"No that is fine, take it back with you," Ainz quickly spoke up, recalling the last few times when this maid used the left behind food to simply burst into the room on multiple occasions already. "I would not wish for food to go to waste, so please take it to those who need it."

"Sir, if you do not eat, your health will deteriorate," She said with her mouth ever so slightly smirking. "I shall leave it here and return later for the dishes."

"No!" Ainz said loudly before she could turn and leave. "I am fine, take the food to those who need, not me."

"Sir, I have my orders."